Trying to identify a type of fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm trying to identify a fish that was bought for my daughters pond a good few years ago.

Firstly my apologies as I am no expert identifying koi, the fish was bought from a local aquatics (Burley Aquatics) that has unfortunately now closed down. It was purchased from a tank that was described as mixed Koi and the colouration of the fish ran horizontally along the fishes body. The top of the fish was blue/grey, the sides were silver and ther underside was red and it was about 15 to 20cm in length.

I've looked on line for any pond fish with the above described colouration and not found any. I appreciate that it may have been an escapee and not even a koi, but my daughter and I are at total loss as to what it could have been and not seen a pond fish with similar horizontal colouration.

If anyone has any idea of what type of fish it could be grateful of suggestions

Many thanks

Ian 👍

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately not, it was bought about eight years ago when we first inherited the pond. The fish managed to jump out the pond so we lost it, but we have not seen another like it especially with the horizontal colouring. We've scoured the internet but still nothing just thought as a last effort to ask if someone may have seen something similar.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Without a picture, it might be hard, but you guys have some different “pond fish” over there than we do in the USA. Is it possible that it’s not a koi or goldfish, but some other type of fish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Mmathis, thank you great to be on board👍

It is possible, you would not believe that I do alot of angling and don't really have any trouble identifying freshwater fish, but pond fish I struggle with. From what I remember it was a carp looking fish although quite slim. Almost like it was carp/gold fish or orfe (not much help I know :rolleyes:), but it was the horizontal colouration that was most unusual.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a couple of shusui that are blue above & red below, which sort of sounds like what you're describing?

fish 03+.jpg

The larger one in the foreground has white on her back due to scarring from a serious spawning injury last year.

Here are some pictures & descriptions of koi varieties:

It sounds like asagi can also be blue above & red below.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of shusui that are blue above & red below, which sort of sounds like what you're describing?

View attachment 164950

The larger one in the foreground has white on her back due to scarring from a serious spawning injury last year.

Here are some pictures & descriptions of koi varieties:

It sounds like asagi can also be blue above & red below.
Ooh that looks very similar, many thanks BKHpondcritters I'll give the daughter a shout. Thanks again (y)

Ask a Question