Too much water lettuce

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I put in 3-4 plants back in May it was, I've got probably over 50-60 now. It's very vigorous of a plant. I just filled a bucket up and still a lot in the pond which I'm gonna leave. These I'm just gonna I guess let them dry out and they'll decompose, good for soil i suppose. Don'te ven have full sun, I get direct 2hrs max but it grows like hell. Hornwort can't even compete with it.
What do you do with too many floating plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Pull out the excess, leave the best looking ones there & throw away (or compost) what you've removed. Both water lettuce & water hyacinth need to be treated like this or they'll take over the pond (and potentially the world, or at least your corner of it! lol)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This is why they've banned both water hyacinth and lettuce in many states for purchase. We can't buy them across the border in WI because they (stupidly) fear they might take over the waterways. We all know they won't last a day in temps under 40 degrees. But we did see in Florida where they employed people full time to boat down the inland waterways and pull them out of the water. They can stop water flow if you let them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
My excess anacharis goes in the turtle habitat…..as mulch! It’s great for that.
yeah since then it's dried and it is nice i suppose. also compresses a lot, good that it doesnt go to waste because i hear its packed with nutrients. think i read on a forum that water lettuce's like horse manure or something..

Ask a Question