Tips on starting Lotus plants from Seed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
I have been growing lotus plants in my pond for 4 years and have really enjoyed it. With the price of new tubers going thru the roof I decided growing them from seed. Even though I divide mine every year , I am looking for different varieties and colors. I followed directions on You Tube but none of them sprouted. Has anyone had success in growing them from seed and if so what technique did you use ? Any info would be appreciated .

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You need to make a cut thru the outer shell until you see white. Then soak in water for 1-2 weeks. Change water often and don't use tap water with chlorine! That's where I made my mistake. The seeds should split open and send out sprouts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Years ago I did it just like mrsClem described it and it worked. Then I moved and got impatient and bought a really nice one. I haven't tried sprouting any of my current seeds though.

Ask a Question