Thread weed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
I have a problem with thread weed in my pond. My filter, pump and uv light are all over rated for the size of my pond but I am finding it difficult to control the growth of weed. I recently changed the uv bulb and have been treating the pond with gelatinous balls and powder but to no avail. Am i just using bad product?

Regards

Graham

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Please give us more information about your pond, size, type and number of fish, do you have plants?

*An excess of algae means there are too many nutrients (overstocked, over feeding, inadequate filtration) in the water, and the biological filtration isn’t keeping up.

String algae has the same cause, but you can’t get rid of it with UV light. UV light targets the algae that is suspended or free-floating in the water. Sometimes string algae is seasonal — like when the pond is ”waking up” from winter. You can get it out by using something like a toilet bowl brush (roundEd surface), and twirling the strands around the brush — it’s a mechanical removal method.

*The cure is to address these issues (eliminating excess nutrients)…..and patience. Add plants! They compete with the algae. Think of them like an air filtration system!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
stars3.gif
@stubbsie

Ask a Question