The importance of filling in spaces between your boulders

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After 7 years I have just done my first cleaning of the pond, with a water change.

I caught almost all my fish, some smaller fish found hiding places. But that is not the reason for the thread. I usually vacuum the pond 3 or 4 times a year. When i nope a build up of sludge leaves or mulm. Well as i was working my way down i noted that these areas even though i tried to kep debris from building up way more got in to these milk and crannies then I ever imagined possible with good maintenance.

Well i was disturbingly wrong. Way more build up then I though possible in this one area, though admittedly it was not a spot I spent too much time trying to clean with the pond vac. When I built my pond i saw the statement over and over i wish i haD GONE BIGGER BUT NOW i SEE THAT I WISH I HAD STARTED SMALL AND THENN DOWN THE ROAD AFTER LEARNING ALL THE LITTLE TRICKS AND TIPS I would love to start over and rebuild.

Two other tricks i would implement would be a concrete bottom or slate , and pockets for the lilly pots to sit into yes these will also collect debris but when they get pulled out for replanting and fertz it can be cleaned.

The other i would go with 3" to everything so if you want to add a new anything or add to the Feature you can tap in where ever is needed

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yeah, I get that, I am always coming up with a better idea for things I have done especially with my pond. I realized, the thing is you would constantly be redesigning or coming up with better ideas for your pond no matter how much you know ahead of time. Just human nature, and others that are very creative(such as yourself @GBBUDD)

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ha. You should see the list I have of things I would do differently!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've got a pond clean out scheduled for myself in the next week or two. Will report back on the state of things after 14 years without a full clean out. I'm anticipating some real interesting finds between the boulders as well... we will see!

One regret I do have is not making sure my shelves were all flatter - I've struggled a bit over the years trying to keep pots (most recently a lotus pot) balanced on a shelf that doesn't really have a flat spot. I've repurposed a few flat pavers over the years, which has helped, but paying more attention to the depth, width and flat surface would have been a plus.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did one vacuum job last year, mainly the deep end where it accumulated. After a few swipes what was there is gone. So now not even doing that, not worth the effort.

Will never empty to clean, takes weeks to fill, baby the well. And our acidic water will kill off the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I hear ya. We will be able to fill in a day, but on city water that costs an arm and a leg. We will report it as a pool fill up and they will only charge us for the actual water; not the sewer portion which is 2/3 the cost.

Ask a Question