Swim Pond Adventure!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all - I thought I would put up some pictures to document our swim pond build here in western CT (Newtown). I finally got my building permit about two weeks ago and the excavator is set to arrive on Thursday or Friday of this week. Exciting! I'm following the pond design of Total Habitat (link here), with a few exceptions and substitutions.

Here is an overhead view of our property from the early spring - the pond will go where the semi circular wall is (got a solo stove for the blue stone patio that we prefer for outdoor fire nights)
5A680D16-C609-43C1-9881-3AFBB36AFE24.JPG

Here's a summertime view of the plantings in the backyard - over time will be a beautiful garden
IMG_0824.jpg

Cedar logs I purchased from a local tree service for the underwater wall, and the portable sawmill company I had come out and turn the logs into lumber:
IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

First segment of the 10-segment underwater wall is complete:
IMG_0957.jpg

Liner being delivered (just yesterday!):
IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
a couple questions.
the 4" approximate width board in the center that is going to bow why would they not make that the top board and bolt it in like the others but now you could have bolt4ed it to the top rail as well making it what is called a strong back and both the top horizontal board and the 4" board could have been bolted and made each other stronger a win win for both pieces .

will there be additional boards added inside the studs between each other so when you add stone it sits on this board and helps hold the wall down and in place?

Reaction score
Country
United States
a couple questions.
the 4" approximate width board in the center that is going to bow why would they not make that the top board and bolt it in like the others but now you could have bolt4ed it to the top rail as well making it what is called a strong back and both the top horizontal board and the 4" board could have been bolted and made each other stronger a win win for both pieces .

will there be additional boards added inside the studs between each other so when you add stone it sits on this board and helps hold the wall down and in place?

Good point! Thanks for that. I’ll swap the skinny one to the top.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good point! Thanks for that. I’ll swap the skinny one to the top.
if you don't want to fight redoing the entire panel, put a strong back onto the 4" on the back side like a 2x6 and this will also help rock to sit on and hold the pannel under water. screw it in to the vertical studs

Ask a Question