Swapping filter timing?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the recommended time to get a new bog filter working from a combo pressure tank mini bog?

I have 7 15" koi in a 2k gallon pond (8'x11'x3.5') being filtered by a few floating plants in the pond, lets say 30% of the filter. Then a small bead filter going to a small upflow waterfall/bog filter with a solid fill of plants, but only about 2 sf of space. I assume the pressure filter does 20% of the work and the waterfall bog does 50%. All and all not enough for our 7 koi to be happy and fed well, but the water stays clean if I purge the pressure filter each couple of weeks to a month or so, which I don't do hence the new bog a 22 sf full size for the pond upflow bog.

So how long do I leave both of them running before shutting down the old small system?

20240813_105428.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also how long until my fish surface again? They went to the bottom when I started 3 days ago and hardly even feed anymore. They seem very stressed by the change.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sounds like your 2000 gallon pond is overstocked. Shutting down one of your filters is stressing them. Can you move some of them out?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is overstocked, which is why we are adding a 24SF bog, but both filters are still running and I have never shut down the old filter, water tests are good. They seemed more upset that I moved the old bog and the new bog looks different, water clarity has improved since I cleaned out the old filter when moving everything, so no water issue right now.

I am just curious thoughts on how I should run both filters? Then I will shut down the old system and move it to a quarantine area.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bogs take time to mature. The bacteria is only one small part of the bog we also need the microbes bugs worms and beattles to move in. Sometimes it takes a couple years

But yes I would leave both running you are over stocked and I would add as much filtration as I could . And I too have a bead I flush it every week . Takes no more than 5 minutes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fish are back to normal, pretty sure they were just upset I changed their view. All water tests have been fine, even found a baby that survived. I will likely leave the backup container bog for a week or two then remove. Pretty sure it is not needed anymore.

Ask a Question