Surprise koi in a koi free pond

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When we decided to add fish to our pond in 2021, we were adamant that we did not want to have koi. We decided to limit it to goldfish and minnows. Well, it appears that we have a lone koi. This spring I have been noticing a shubunkin that appeared much more colorful and a faster growth rate than the others. As I am watching this fish grow this season, it dawned on me that it is getting so big that it may not be a shubunkin. I looked into the differences, and alas it is a koi fish. I am guessing that it has been in my pond minimally since last season if not the season before. So last year I noticed some grey colored fish in the new babies that didn’t have any colors and didn’t look quite like goldfish. I just assumed that as they matured they would develop more into either a comet look or a shubunkin. Well, this year they are getting bigger and they are staying grey. I assume that they are the result of koi breeding with goldfish - hence another reason leading me to believe that this koi has been in my pond for some time.

So my dilemma is, should I keep him/her, or try to remove the koi? I do have plenty of space I suppose, my pond is not even near fully stocked and I do prefer to keep it that way. I have read that koi have a very long lifespan, which I did not want to sign up for. I have also read that they should likely have other koi in their community, which I am not willing to do. I have also noticed that this koi fish is ravenous and eats like a total pig. I don’t feed my fish every single day right now, but do once most days. Do I need to be feeding this koi fish more than the goldfish? I can’t really just feed this one fish. Ugh. I would love any words of advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Koi do live longer than goldfish, usually. In my experience, my pond fish, gold or koi, can do without food from me for several days because I have a lot of plants and carpet algae they can snack on. My one koi seemed perfectly happy with a bunch of goldfish, but if you don't want a koi, do a post, maybe in this forum, or a local pond club, to give him/her/it away to a good home. NO guilt! You're doing a great job to make sure everyone is in the best home for him/her self.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Koi do live longer than goldfish, usually. In my experience, my pond fish, gold or koi, can do without food from me for several days because I have a lot of plants and carpet algae they can snack on. My one koi seemed perfectly happy with a bunch of goldfish, but if you don't want a koi, do a post, maybe in this forum, or a local pond club, to give him/her/it away to a good home. NO guilt! You're doing a great job to make sure everyone is in the best home for him/her self.
Thank you. I also do have a lot of plants. Hopefully not likes snacking on water lettuce because that has really multiplied like crazy this year. I suppose I may just keep him/her with the Goldie’s and minnows. I appreciate your response.

Ask a Question