String algae in waterfall--becoming a nuisance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

Seeking advice for limiting hair (string) algae growth.

I have an approx. 2500 gal pond (with a lined rock waterfall) which i keep koi. Live in northern VT, so summers are relative short. It has been hotter than normal (?) this past summer. Probably not quite a couple dozen koi in there with various sizes. All seem healthy. Feed once a day. Its been going for almost 25 yrs. I do upgrades every now and then. Running an upflow filter, Aquadyne koi filter, and bog filter. Air pump. Larger main pump this summer, so good flow. Rinse the main filter once a week. Always had problems with green algae in the water, so added a 40w UV light this spring (from various recommendations). Water has remained absolutely clear all summer, so that worked well. I now am dealing with lots of string algae in the waterfall till the point it is being a big nuisance. At least once a week cleaning by hand. I cant remember ever having such a nuisance/problem. I realize its a nutrient/poop issue. I treat with bacteria and yeast. Add some salt once in a while. Any recommendations for helping to control the algae growth in the waterfall? Doesn't seem to be any string algae in the pond area itself. don't like to use chemicals. Probably have another month of the algae growth before colder temperatures set in.

Thanks much for your time to review and guidance.

Ask a Question