Strange film on surface

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7a
Country
United States
Hi, this is my first post. What looks like an oil slick has occupied my tiny pond for about six weeks when the weather started to getting warmer. I impatiently added small duckweed and green camboba Carolina. It’s only been a few days since, but I’m still impatient. It’s yucky. What do you all think? Thank you for any advice!

Attachments

• E2132C7C-E9B0-4217-A438-582AC3FD662B.jpeg
    E2132C7C-E9B0-4217-A438-582AC3FD662B.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 0DA6825C-874A-4FAC-B2AC-2C67BC90EC39.jpeg
    0DA6825C-874A-4FAC-B2AC-2C67BC90EC39.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 22

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome! Has everything else been in the pond before without the slick? Thinking residue washing off of something. When I use fuller's earth (kitty litter and such) as a planting medium, I sometimes have had a bit of a slick when I put the pot in the water. If you pour water in gently and let it overflow, should skim the slick out of your pond. Perhaps tip it slightly and catch the duckweed in a net.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7a
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Do you have a pump in the pond? Older pumps were filled with oil and can leak.
If not, it's most likely a lot of organic material, leaves, rotting plants, breaking down.
No pump in here, so that’s good! Hopefully it’ll go away eventually. Thank you so much for your insight!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7a
Country
United States
Welcome! Has everything else been in the pond before without the slick? Thinking residue washing off of something. When I use fuller's earth (kitty litter and such) as a planting medium, I sometimes have had a bit of a slick when I put the pot in the water. If you pour water in gently and let it overflow, should skim the slick out of your pond. Perhaps tip it slightly and catch the duckweed in a net.
Everything else has been there, yes. I was worried that it could be something from my skin, like soap. But I really hope it’s just organic matter, as mrsclem suggests. But that’s a really smart idea about overflowing it and catching the duckweed! I’m absolutely keeping that in mind, thank you!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could birds have gotten in the pond after visiting a house that has suet cakes out for birds . That happens in my bird bath after they eat the suet cakes I put out . They get it on their feet and even take a piece to the bird bath to wetten it .You could get a small pump and put a hose on it and use quilt batting to catch it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I vote for rotting organic matter also. I saw a neat photo of a swamp that looked strangely fairy-tale-ish because of the iridescent blue surface of the water. I get this same "oil slick" look in my lotus pool, where there is no filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7a
Country
United States
could birds have gotten in the pond after visiting a house that has suet cakes out for birds . That happens in my bird bath after they eat the suet cakes I put out . They get it on their feet and even take a piece to the bird bath to wetten it .You could get a small pump and put a hose on it and use quilt batting to catch it
It’s possible! I have lots of neighbors very close by. Excellent thought and solution, thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7a
Country
United States
I vote for rotting organic matter also. I saw a neat photo of a swamp that looked strangely fairy-tale-ish because of the iridescent blue surface of the water. I get this same "oil slick" look in my lotus pool, where there is no filtration.
That’s comforting to know, thank you!

Ask a Question