Solar Filters and Pumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just moved into a house (UK) that has an empty 8000L pond that I would like to set up.
There is no filter or pump and no electric to it as its too far from the house.
I've been told its too big to use a solar filter as they are not powerful enough so I was wondering if I could use 2 of them? Or if anyone could recommend one that would work.
Any advice would be very welcome as I've really no idea what I'm doing and don't want to spend a fortune if I can help it!
Thanks
Nikki

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome-1.gif
@Tilkifox
Sorry can't help w/the solar idea. Hope someone else can.
How far from house is power? Some have used outdoor long extension cords buried, maybe in tubing w/an auto power shut off if something goes awry.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi
I have just moved into a house (UK) that has an empty 8000L pond that I would like to set up.
There is no filter or pump and no electric to it as its too far from the house.
I've been told its too big to use a solar filter as they are not powerful enough so I was wondering if I could use 2 of them? Or if anyone could recommend one that would work.
Any advice would be very welcome as I've really no idea what I'm doing and don't want to spend a fortune if I can help it!
Thanks
Nikki
Welcome but we need more info like how big is the pond fish no fish how deep pictures

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As @Mmathis said, pumps and filters need to run 24/7. So if you could find a system large enough, you would also need storage batteries to run it at night and in cloudy, overcast conditions.

It's a good idea, but maybe not very practical.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your replies. The pond is 3.5m long, 2m wide and 1.3m deep. It has been empty since I moved in and ideally, I would like to maybe have a couple of small fish and maybe some plants but that's about it.
It's a south facing garden so gets plenty of sun on a sunny day but I live in the UK so it's not always sunny.
Sadly I don't have a lot of money to put into it 😕

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Smaller, shallow ponds make great wildlife habitats (reptiles, amphibians, birds)! If it’s in full sun, maybe you could plant a small shrub close by to provide some shade on those sunny days. Landscape around it with rocks, and plant some non-invasive native plants.

I know this doesn’t solve your problem, wanting a pond, but sometimes it’s fun to think outside the box. Maybe build a lined pond closer to your house.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi,
The other posters are right: ponds with fish need 24/7 pumping due to fish poop and fish food.

I have a wildlife pond around the same size as yours, which only gets pumped when the solar panel gets enough light -- note, not necessarily only on bright sunny days, light cloud is fine. The panel does not have battery backup.
All filtration is provided by a bog filter (above the pond), which gets cleaned out every couple of years or so.
The water is clean and clear; we get lots of grateful bees and bugs, frogs, hedgehogs, birds, etc, not to mention local cats stopping by for a drink and wishfully eyeballing the birds.

If cats have access to your garden, then unless you're prepared to put a grille over your pond, forget fish. My two water-loving cats emptied our neighbour's koi pond over 6 months despite his most valiant efforts. Fortunately, he saw the funny side of it, and we became firm friends (did cost me a lot of wine, though). When he restocked, he installed a grille.

Ask a Question