So much string algae

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello there from central Ontario Canada!
Is anyone else having an awful year with string algae? I have had a pond for 15 years and never had so much that I can't get under control. I know all the reasons and conditions to cause this problem. My pond is ALMOST the same as it has been for years. I know it's hot this year but so we're the previous years.
Here are 2 things I have noticed this year. Aquascape beneficial bacteria is not the same colour in this can as the last one I had. New formula?, maybe not as effective? I have had water moss growing submerged in the water for all the years I have had this pond. I had it this spring,...now it's all gone, where, I have no idea. Then the string algae gets too numerous. Does the water moss acidify the water? I also have NO diving beetles that I can see. I always have hundreds of little ones. I have water boatmen and tons of snails and of course lots of frogs.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Not sure what your water moss is but without that growing, your string algae is probably utilizing the available nutrients. Any fish? Hungry ones can help keep string algae in check.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you tested the water yet? Also the wildfires in BC have caused some havoc with water quality, with two years of that it may have caught up to your pond. Any chance that there has been run off into the pond bring fertilizers in?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
blink frog.gif
and welcome @frogluvinK

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Have you tested the water yet? Also the wildfires in BC have caused some havoc with water quality, with two years of that it may have caught up to your pond. Any chance that there has been run off into the pond bring fertilizers in?
No fertilizer run off, maybe some rabbit or racoon may have added some. No, I've not tested the water. I don't know how I would lower the ph naturally, I guess I better research that! Good point!

Ask a Question