Safe Wood treatment for pond surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm new here; at the planning stage of our pond; dug and shelved, ready to line...

The plan is to surround the pond with sleepers; new ones, untreated oak (200x100mm).

My question is; can i treat the wood with Danish Oil or Linseed oil, without harming the water quality and aquatic life?
Or is it best to leave it untreated, and fingers crossed re lifespan/wood rot?

Any tips on this or other safe treatments would be great, many thanks!

jethro

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
anybody.gif
@jethro247
I know some people here use wood and oak is a hardwood so I hear it can be used but if it comes into contact w/the water it can produce tannin's that will color the water. Not sure what to use that is safe to treat the wood to stop it from leaching. Why does it have to come into contact w/your water? I assume it's cuz you don't want liner to show?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi JW,

many thanks for the reply.

the oak won't be in direct contact with the water, there will be an overflow keeping the level constant. but i read that when it rains (which it does in the UK ALL THE TIME, the wood treatment can then run into the water, so i'm ooking for something that won't cause issues.

i don't think the natural tannins will be an issue from rain runoff in itself

:unsure:

Ask a Question