Recommendations on koi food with large pellets?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have any recommendations for koi food brands that offer large pellets? All of the higher end food seems to be 0.5 cm (3/16"), and the smaller fish gobble that up immediately. I'd like to be able to mix in some larger pellets for my big guys.

I've been trying Microbe-Lift Big Bites which are about 1 cm. The big koi like that size but are a bit meh on the taste. I also tried clumping some of the smaller pellets together with a bit of fish oil and water (a suggestion I found online), but it leaves an oily residue on the surface that I don't want.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can always use distilled water soften up some of the smaller pellets put them into a press and then a dehydrator. even the large pellets that i have found i agree still seem small. The little guys can eat them as well to a degree but once they get one there are busy for a while.

currently aquascapes probiotic and Kodama color up large

Reaction score
Country
United States
So mashing them up and reforming then into larger pellets? That seems like a good solution. Would a dehydrator be necessary, or would an oven work? I don't want to lose nutritional value if that's possible; I know probiotics are heat-sensitive. Maybe leaving them to dry overnight would work?

Ask a Question