Questions from those with Oase box style filters

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I just recently added an Oase Biotec ScreenMatic 24000 with Bitron 50 UV and Eco Premium 4500 to my pond.
This is extreme overkill for filtration for now, but I wanted to get it pumping while excavating for my expansion.

I ran 2” hose to the filter from the pump and stepped down the 4” outlet to 3” for ease of use.
This thing just pumps sooooo much turbulent water into the pond that it has me second guessing my purchase.

What does everyone do with these u slightly outlet pipes and if I feed over rocks for a waterfall, will it slow down the turbity of just coming straight from a pipe?
Video for reference:
Test run of my new Oase pond filtration.#Oase #fitzfishponds #koi #koipond #shorts

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

How long will it be before your new pond is ready? I am NOT an expert on this by any means, so can only speak from personal experience.

Does your pump have a flow regulator, or is there some way you can control the flow to the filter like adding in-line valves? I used a “Y” connector and added valves so I could run my pump to multiple features (my filter, and to a bog). I was able to control the amount of flow to each feature, separately. Something like this.

IMG_0804.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
That seems like an easy one to me, just buy a more energy efficient pump to both save $ and reduce gph. That said it did not look like too much to me, I would just move that to a new spot and create a new water fall / stream back into the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
oh, and be careful with reducing the 4 inch to 3 inch pipe, outflows are likely oversized for a reason, to avoid overflow, especially if you extend the 3 inch pipe any longer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So a few responses here:

I am unsure of expansion timeframe. I am prepping the area now, but not sure if I will get it done before the fall.

I wanted to put this filter in place now as my pond is terribly over crowded for its size and my only filtration was matala pads in a filter falls. So it’s been working decently if I religiously back flush it every 2 weeks, but it’s not ideal.
My hope was to get this in play sooner for better filtration awhile and then rip down the falls to start excavating in that area.

Size wise, I guesstimate 3k gallons currently (which is likely smaller) and I have a 4100gph pump at the skimmer and 4500gph at the box and a big aerator. So LOTS of water turnover with both on.
The pump does have a winter mode which will reduce flow as I understand it. I guess I can try that now that I think of it. I can also move from 2” hose to 1.5” hose to move less water perhaps?

I really despise looking at this pipe, but the plan was to utilize the falls as well as build another waterfall using this pipe.
Perhaps this just looks like a ton of flow to me because my waterfalls is much less aggressive than this pipe feeding all that water.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think all your plans are good. I would avoid reducing hose size to move less water, just costs $ and adds stress to the pump IMO, winter setting or smaller pump if you don't like the volume. Just think of the existing pipe as temporary until your new waterfall is in place and use winter mode until then, but again it did not look like too much water to me. I would say the 3" is less than your current falls, it is the 3" flow that makes it look like more. When you go to the new falls, use that full 4" pipe to your new water fall, even if small, and just hide it with rocks/dirt.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As for the added pipes being ugly, the 4" outlet should end up hidden when you build your waterfall, so should be easier to cover. The 2" in will just need your best effort to cover with rock, I try to place them on the same side as the typical viewing angle so they are at your feet and not in your eyesight as much and then bury them in the ground when it tops your liner. Use random large rocks to cover it going over the liner edge as best possible. if you are making the pipe long to the filter to avoid seeing it I would even consider a 3" pipe in to keep resistance down. Once I hit 4k gph I prefer 3" pipe to help with flow rates, especially if over 10 feet. A 2" pipe, IMO works well from 2k to 4k, just avoid going to 1.5" if possible.

Also remember as you change the length and height of the final filter position the flow rate will change yet again, once the water fall is in place you will want more than less water, IMO.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think all your plans are good. I would avoid reducing hose size to move less water, just costs $ and adds stress to the pump IMO, winter setting or smaller pump if you don't like the volume. Just think of the existing pipe as temporary until your new waterfall is in place and use winter mode until then, but again it did not look like too much water to me. I would say the 3" is less than your current falls, it is the 3" flow that makes it look like more. When you go to the new falls, use that full 4" pipe to your new water fall, even if small, and just hide it with rocks/dirt.
Ahhhh, maybe that’s it. 3” output in a pipe to 26” wide waterfall. That jives now that you mention it.

Thanks for the advice. I may leave it at 3” short term and convert to 4” once it is in permanent install. The 3” is already akward enough in its temp home

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I moved the gear over to the other side of my patio for now thinking that atleast if it was too much flow, I would have the discharge be by the waterfall so it’s not coming from every angle.
It’s deff a lot of aeration coming from this thing! I shut off my aerator for now just in case they get stressed out, but is there really such a thing as too much aeration?
Is aeration at the top of the water just as good as aeration from bottom of the pond shooting up?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can super saturate the water yes, but typically not from water falls. Imo I prefer water fall based aeration but not sure why. Keep your pump away from the water fall and it has to travel over pond. Water the size of a pond should not have much variation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are 2 pumps in this pond. One sucking from the skimmer and one sucking from the bottom.
The pond is only soo big to keep them away from the waterfall. All this is temp placement though

Ask a Question