Pumps and pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am constructing a 12m garden stream, no pond and need relationship between pump spec and pipe dimensions to raise the water 1.5m. Sufficient info??

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Do you mean pump head height? There is usually info with the pump that tells you that. There are online calculators that you can use, but as far as pipe diameter, I would just use the size that matches the pump outlet. It seems like that’s what the pump is rated for — maybe a more physics-minded member can help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome!

Do you mean pump head height? There is usually info with the pump that tells you that. There are online calculators that you can use, but as far as pipe diameter, I would just use the size that matches the pump outlet. It seems like that’s what the pump is rated for — maybe a more physics-minded member can help.
Thank you for that guidance. The pumps I have seen have varied bores of outlet spigots accepting several sizes of pipe. I dont want to buy 12 metres of hope !!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
hellofrog5.gif
and welcome @A.Fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
go big, at least one size bigger than your pump. 1.5" is the least I would consider for pipe size and pump outlet, but a 2"/5cm pipe would be better and is my go to for anything basic. If you want something more, go with 7.5cm/3" even if your pump only has a 1.5" outlet, but that increases your cost. Convert asap to larger pipe and don't buy anything less than 1.5" outlet. Plenty of $50 to $100 US pumps on the market that can handle that, $200 is the most I would likely spend. I just bought a 3000 gph pump with a 1.5" outlet, but in addition to the outlet size, look at the amps. Try and keep the amps under 300, cause running them cost money. In the US you often pay more to use your pump for a year than the pump costs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
To give a better response would need to know how wide/deep you want it and the route. if you have a solid surface less is better, if you want a lot of loose rock it will need more.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, no pond, just a stream? Waterfall? How long and wide will the stream be? Will there be a catch basin?
No pond as such (so no fish) but envisage 3 falls into catch pools and stream bed in varied widths to meander rather than in a hurry to get there! Lined base with weighting boulders down sides. Plantings by lady of the house when engineering done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No pond as such (so no fish) but envisage 3 falls into catch pools and stream bed in varied widths to meander rather than in a hurry to get there! Lined base with weighting boulders down sides. Plantings by lady of the house when engineering done.
Is there a video you have found that is close to what you'd like to build

Ask a Question