pump size advice

Reaction score
I am currently looking at the pondmaster 2600 to replace my current pump setup. I previously only have a mag drive 12. I previously did not have a filter, but I have one now that I will use this Spring (PUV-2000). My pond is 1000-1100 gallons and the pump will be placed 3 feet deep. The tubing will reach my filter around 10 feet and then the outtake will go to my waterfall at around 18 feet. I just have the tube spitting water out into a upperbasin (no waterfall equipment). The total rise of the run is 4-5 feet.

The specs of the 2600 are 1975 gallons per hour at 10 feet, where filter is, and then approx 1250 at tube exit. I assume I read the specs correctly as the PUV-2000 shoud not exceed 2000 gallons per hour which I assume is at the 10 foot point. I this the right way to do it? I am also concerned that too much water will come put of at the waterfall tube. I could redesign the top.

THe specs of the 2100 are 1300 gallons per hour at 10 feet and only 300 gallons at 20 feet. Is this the one I should choose?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
head is rated in vertical plumbing run for a pump.... and 10' of horizontal run is equal to 1' of vertical. head also starts at the waters surface. so if your waterfall is 10' from the pond and 4' above the water srface. your head is 5'....
the norm is you should turn over your ponds volume at least once an hour to an hour and a half.

Reaction score
THe 2600 at 5 feet is rated 2450 and the 2100 is 1750, so would that mean the 2600 would exceed the filter rating. I am so confused.

pond.jpg

Reaction score
I just want to make sure before investing 200 some odd dollars that the 2600 will be ok. Last two season had no filter with a Mag Drive 12, which I was told would kill the pump

pump.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a about a 2500 gal pond and my pondmaster supreme 2400 pump sits on the bottom 3&1/2 ft deep and the hose runs up to the top of the pond and along the side buried in the ground about 18ft to the falls and connects to the bottom of the falls container and water is pushed up about 2ft and I have fine enough flow but wish I would have gotten a bit bigger of a pump as I would like more water coming out of the falls but maybe I'm just being picky.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remeber when buying a pump what water features you may want to add ,like spitters or fountain .You can always buy a cheaper pump for a spitter or fountain .The more movement and the more oxygen you add the better the water quality and seems even the less algae you will get hopefully because of that .Plus having an extra pump never hurts if something happens to your main pump .Never hurts to be safe than sorry and the second pump can always be used as a winter pump

Ask a Question