Probably a stupid idea, but . . .

Reaction score
I have a 2,000 gallon pond and regardless of the plants, beneficial bio, bombs, etc. I have pea soup. The pond has been established for about 20 years BUT my husband always insisted on cleaning it every few months, total drain, scrub the walls, etc. This year I begged him to stop and let nature take it's course, but I need a quicker fix for an upcoming event. Can I just purchase a UV bulb and drop it into the skimmer basket for a few days? I hesitate to purchase an entire system right now because I need to research the various ones that will work with my filtration system - wondering if I can just drop a bulb in (assuming they are all waterproof since water needs to pass by them) and just be careful to not look at it when I'm cleaning the skimmer?

Don't blast me too hard, I'm trying to clear this up quickly before husband gets back from trip. :)
Sue

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
UV not going to help. It only kills suspended algae which in turn feeds rest of algae. Try to convince hubby to stop with the cleaning. Every time he does that you are staring over with your pond cycling. Time is your best friend. Patience!

Reaction score
Yes, he has agreed to stop cleaning the pond and let me take full charge of it's maintenance. Gotta tell ya, I'm not enjoying the smirks when he looks out the window and sees pea soup, so I would LOVE to have it clear when he gets home in a week! I used to have a UV light running 24/7 and it did a great job but when that one bit the dust I didn't replace it.
Sue

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @SueAndHeZoo !

Your pond has too many nutrients, so you need to analyze why that is. Too many fish? Overfeeding? Too many organics decaying in the pond? What filtration are you using? Do you have plants? Do you use any other chemicals in the pond?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes, he has agreed to stop cleaning the pond and let me take full charge of it's maintenance. Gotta tell ya, I'm not enjoying the smirks when he looks out the window and sees pea soup, so I would LOVE to have it clear when he gets home in a week! I used to have a UV light running 24/7 and it did a great job but when that one bit the dust I didn't replace it.
Sue
Wow you have been on this forum before most all of us here! 2008, wow! Nice to meet you :)

Reaction score
Welcome @SueAndHeZoo !

Your pond has too many nutrients, so you need to analyze why that is. Too many fish? Overfeeding? Too many organics decaying in the pond? What filtration are you using? Do you have plants? Do you use any other chemicals in the pond?
That's the thing - it shouldn't have too many nutrients! Last year the blue heron stole all of my koi so all I'm left with is probably 15 small goldfish. The local heron has expensive taste. :(

The entire surface of the pond is not covered with plants, but there are lots of parrot feathers, anacharis, and lily pads covering a lot of it. I didn't do hyacinths this year because they totally overtake the pond (and I can't keep them out of the skimmer) but I don't feed hardly at all because I figure the few fish in the giant pond are finding enough on their own.

There is a skimmer which then goes to a waterfall. There are pads in both the skimmer box and the waterfall box, and they get cleaned but not too often - gotta grow the good stuff. I have added beneficial bacteria, and I have used sodium percarbonate a few times this year to bring any stuff on the bottom up to the top where I can net it out. When I did it a few days ago hardly anything came up so I think the pond bottom is rather devoid of decaying matter.

I know it will take another year or two for nature to take it's course, but I'd love to see down, at least a few inches, in the next week or two, especially when I have people over.
Sue

Reaction score
Wow you have been on this forum before most all of us here! 2008, wow! Nice to meet you :)
Yes, been at this for quite a while - was trying to remember just how long so thanks for the reminder. It was a koi pond, then it was a turtle pond, then back to koi, and now just the few lonely surviving goldfish and some plants.
Sue

Reaction score
OK, I really do want to try a UV light. And I would love to do this myself if possible (fairly able-bodied 67 year old). My pond is equipped with a skimmer system and the hoses from the skimmer to the waterfall are buried deeply underground, have been for years and there is no way I'm tearing all that apart to add a UV. Is there a unit out there that I can add, maybe to my waterfall container, that I can plug and play without a lot of plumbing and electrical work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sue

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think you have some misconceptions. Filters have to be cleaned in order to work well. You aren't going to wash off the beneficial bacteria, so keep them clean.

The type of bacteria you buy in a bottle is not the beneficial bacteria needed for your filter. That bacteria will not live sealed up and sitting on a shelf. You can buy that beneficial bacteria but it is expensive and has to be shipped cooled and overnight, adding to the expense.

There are certain skimmers that are designed to house a UV light. You could check to see if your skimmer is one of them.

Ask a Question