Poolnd build

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, New to the forum but have been lurking a few weeks.

I am planning on what is considered an "on ground pool". Basically a pond liner pool that is chlorinated, or a pond for people!
I had this idea for awhile, but have not started the process yet. This website is basically everything I want to do, but it and most of its links are in France.
https://buildyouringroundpool.com/
It will be a chlorinated inground pool with skimmers and pipes built in.

They use PVC liners and have had the same one for 15+ years.

I want to use epdm liners but I am having a hard time with a black liner pool. The only white colored epdm liner I can find is for roofing. It is 60mil 10'x 25-50-100'.
My main concern with this is seaming large sections. My wife and I are fine with building this over multiple years if it comes to it, as well as customizing overtime.
https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=16226 This is one company that sells it.
we plan on it being about 30'x60', just because we want it massive.

I have read the seaming post by GBBUDD and feel like this is possible for this roofing liner as well, there are butyl tapes and caulk that are white.

Anyone have experience with seaming roofing epdm, particularly White epdm and any issues with using below the water line? Discoloration and muck should not come into play unless I slack off on pool maintenance.

Thank you for any and all input and thanks for all of the "sticky" posts and forum guidelines, its a wealth of information!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomehu9.gif
@Phacker
I used 60ml epdm roofing liner for my first pond and it was great. Tough stuff, a little harder to work w/than the thinner 45ml but not that much. Never knew they made it in white tho. Using chlorine the white I think would be fine but who knows? It would show any flaws or marks more than black. Not sure where you live but I would think black would suck up the heat more and white would reflect it if this is true in water as it is on land? Sounds like a fun idea tho!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! Yeah I live near Oklahoma City, so the black would probably boil us!

Yes it will be a DIY experience, with lots of learning/experimenting!

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you get the chance look at the first link I posted, they have some great examples even with using pvc liners their gallery and testimonials pages show the original build and similar designs others have made.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you get the chance look at the first link I posted, they have some great examples even with using pvc liners their gallery and testimonials pages show the original build and similar designs others have made.
Yep lots of beautiful examples! White is the only way to go! The seaming I can't help ya with. Others here will know more on this subject.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would stay clear of pvc yes 15 years is possible but it I'd 15 years that is average few make it to 20 and edpm is a 40 so do a little math and pvc just falls short.
Yes the white can be seamed and like I said in the post if your going to build this I'd only want to build it once which is why I recomend seaming the seams. Edpm seamingbis just a contact cement and it can fail. And you never know if you bought the one can that was left out and froze at the suppliers and is now compromised.

Cleaning and what ever you clean the rubber with and not leaving a residue is key..
I also have a showcase where this talks about lessons learned and what you may want to consider in a design. It may help you as well. It can be done my first attempt at a build drew attention of Aquascapes so yes anyone can do it it's just a substantial commitment. And lots of desire and hard work . But in the end I will say it's the best thing I have ever done for my home.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Awesome, thank you again for all the examples and posting the information you have gathered throughout the years.

I am going to go with the white epdm. I will be combing the forums to learn and try and prevent any “hard” lessons.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
with a pond build and installing rock , logs tree stumps and gravel or even sand. The last thing you want to do is a redo . I would want a liner that i would not need to fuss with for as long as possible

Reaction score
Country
United States
with a pond build and installing rock , logs tree stumps and gravel or even sand. The last thing you want to do is a redo . I would want a liner that i would not need to fuss with for as long as possible
Absolutely! I told my wife that we either make it simple to replace the liner, or get the best available. I don’t want to completely demolish what we build just because we used a subpar liner!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Absolutely! I told my wife that we either make it simple to replace the liner, or get the best available. I don’t want to completely demolish what we build just because we used a subpar liner!
A good epdm liner can last for over 20 yrs or more if not abused by sharp objects or wild pool parties where people are tossing things in there that might cause a puncture. Mine has been in for that long and then some! I just have fish tho, no rough housing people or pets etc. :love:

Reaction score
Country
United States
A good epdm liner can last for over 20 yrs or more if not abused by sharp objects or wild pool parties where people are tossing things in there that might cause a puncture. Mine has been in for that long and then some! I just have fish tho, no rough housing people or pets etc. :love:

I have some ideas for protecting the entry points of the epdm from rambunctious people/pets. We want to have a sand like entrance to the pool. I have been playing around with epoxy and poly resin infused sand and other materials. It does not have to be waterproof since the liner will be in place, but it will create a more solid surface and spread out weight evenly.

I have made a few sample pieces and like the texture and strength. I am now looking to purchase some scrap roofing epdm from local roofers and test seam (with seaming the seams) as well as checking how thick I will need to make the resin for the entry points.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some ideas for protecting the entry points of the epdm from rambunctious people/pets. We want to have a sand like entrance to the pool. I have been playing around with epoxy and poly resin infused sand and other materials. It does not have to be waterproof since the liner will be in place, but it will create a more solid surface and spread out weight evenly.

I have made a few sample pieces and like the texture and strength. I am now looking to purchase some scrap roofing epdm from local roofers and test seam (with seaming the seams) as well as checking how thick I will need to make the resin for the entry points.
heres a link to seaming https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/seaming-epdm-liner.26807/

one issue with an epoxy plans is you need to keep the epoxy thick enough to withstand foot traffic meaning if some stomped on an edge it will not crack shatter and create thin shards that will then cut bare feet and your liner.

there is a product called rock on a roll , i have no idea how long it would last on an application like your planning . i myself have never used or bought rock on a roll but im a bit stubborn and like all natural edging and the look of the pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
heres a link to seaming https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/seaming-epdm-liner.26807/

one issue with an epoxy plans is you need to keep the epoxy thick enough to withstand foot traffic meaning if some stomped on an edge it will not crack shatter and create thin shards that will then cut bare feet and your liner.

there is a product called rock on a roll , i have no idea how long it would last on an application like your planning . i myself have never used or bought rock on a roll but im a bit stubborn and like all natural edging and the look of the pond

Thanks! I will look into the Rock on a roll! The epoxy is definitely a trial and error. I would not do it for the entire area, but mostly the beach entry. I have played with a few ounces and mixed it directly with sand. It absorbed quite a bit as expected, but made an extremely hard compound. I formed it to be about 1/2" thick and it took a beating! I finally was able to break it after multiple extreme hits with a hammer. I have not made it into a larger section yet. Next I will try to make a single piece that is a few sq ft and then do some testing with jumping and landing on heels and whatnot. I do not think it will pose too much risk as long as it is supported below by solid ground and is thick enough to disperse the weight if there is a slight void.

Ask a Question