Pond leak and frog concerns

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I inherited a pond when I bought a house last fall and there are tons of amazing little frogs and tadpoles in it. I recently had some work done to install a new pump, rebuild the waterfalls, and I am still having water loss somewhere. My worry is that I will need to drain the pond to discover/fix the leak, and that the tadpoles/frogs will suffer. They bring such a great amount of life to the pond and I don't want to do anything to harm them, but I can't even run the pump now because the water level has dropped so much. If I need to drain the pond, how can I try to save or help the frogs/tadpoles to survive. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just pump some of the pond water into a holding tank/bucket (depending on the extent of the problem & the size of the pond) Then, when you get down to the bottom, simply scoop up any tadpoles or frogs you find & deposit them into the 'holding bin'. Frogs probably won't stay contained (or even be caught this time of year), but you can definitely keep the tadpoles alive & happy for the interim.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
hello frogs5.gif
and welcome @scruphdawg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! And I appreciate the response. I will probably get some 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot and gather as many tadpoles as I can when the time comes and then reintroduce them once the work is done. Really hopeful I can get this thing dialed in because it is such a fun little hobby!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Was the pond leaking prior to the new pump and the addition of the waterfall? Before draining the pond, you might want to closely examine the waterfall area for leaks. With a new pump, you might also check the hose connections to ensure they are tight. By the way, welcome to the forum!

Ask a Question