Pond filter stopped working. Need to fix or replace filter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I acquired a ~400 gal pond with some fish and now one turtle that came with the house. Recently since deciding to add a turtle I put some effort into trying to understand how to maintain it. In the last year we had it, it consistently worked without me messing with it. I regret trying to do anything, but I figure this isnt something you can leave with no maintenance at all.

I figured out how to pull it out and clean the sponges, which I did and it worked even better. But the electrical component just randomly stopped working when I unplugged it so I had to buy an extension cord to plug it in to an outlet in the garage. It since worked for a bit.

Nothing changed except adding a turtle yesterday. So I’m thinking the turtle knocked a tube or pump that’s connected to the barrel from under the pond.

I have no idea how this thing works and it seems exhaustingly complicated. It appears the inlet and outlet hoses feed through the rocks where there’s usually a water flow/fountain feature. Then you have an oval piece of equipment one of the hoses attaches to with a wite coming out of it, I assume it’s a submersible pump.

It worked fine this morning and now its not. So I have no idea what changed between now and them. I bought a second cheaper pump and filter which does seem to be working a bit in the meantime, I just need a fountain attachment to promote water flow. Hopefully I can get that monday (or sooner with amazon)

I’d rather not buy a brand new filter if this one works, it seems like a waste. But I also feel like I should actually understand how my own equipment works.

Someone on this sub recommended this one:

I figure I may as well invest in it next month if nothing else. Maybe I can hire someone to look at the existing one?

Here’s a reddit post with photos: https://www.reddit.com/r/ponds/s/rGgHgMcEoq

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
TrashCanKittywelcome.gif
@Hybridrequiem

Reaction score
Country
United States
I acquired a ~400 gal pond with some fish and now one turtle that came with the house. Recently since deciding to add a turtle I put some effort into trying to understand how to maintain it. In the last year we had it, it consistently worked without me messing with it. I regret trying to do anything, but I figure this isnt something you can leave with no maintenance at all.

I figured out how to pull it out and clean the sponges, which I did and it worked even better. But the electrical component just randomly stopped working when I unplugged it so I had to buy an extension cord to plug it in to an outlet in the garage. It since worked for a bit.

Nothing changed except adding a turtle yesterday. So I’m thinking the turtle knocked a tube or pump that’s connected to the barrel from under the pond.

I have no idea how this thing works and it seems exhaustingly complicated. It appears the inlet and outlet hoses feed through the rocks where there’s usually a water flow/fountain feature. Then you have an oval piece of equipment one of the hoses attaches to with a wite coming out of it, I assume it’s a submersible pump.

It worked fine this morning and now its not. So I have no idea what changed between now and them. I bought a second cheaper pump and filter which does seem to be working a bit in the meantime, I just need a fountain attachment to promote water flow. Hopefully I can get that monday (or sooner with amazon)

I’d rather not buy a brand new filter if this one works, it seems like a waste. But I also feel like I should actually understand how my own equipment works.

I figure I may as well invest in it next month if nothing else. Maybe I can hire someone to look at the existing one?

I had similar issues. I bought the following abt 4 yrs ago & it’s worth every penny. Once a day you thro the “out hose” outside of the pond & pull up on a handle-this squeezes the sponges that gather all the algae & gunk it filters out & spits it out of the hose onto the lawn. This pump also has a uv light in a clear tube that the water goes by that kills all the algae! Takes about 4/5 minutes a day. Then just throw the hose back into the pond & your done till tomorrow. I paid 120 yrs ago & it’s been worth every penny. I order filter pads & new uv light every spring & replace them & that’s it! Piece of cake!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sorry im not a small pond keeper but i will say any pump and filter that says its good for your 400 gallon pond is saying so with absolute optimum conditions . light fish load and feeding light and plants. in short i would go with double the recommended size so an 800 is where i would start.

but if iwas to pick a brand it would be the green reset or any other that has a plug cleaning bar that way you can clean the filter without destroying your bacterial load.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had similar issues. I bought the following abt 4 yrs ago & it’s worth every penny. Once a day you thro the “out hose” outside of the pond & pull up on a handle-this squeezes the sponges that gather all the algae & gunk it filters out & spits it out of the hose onto the lawn. This pump also has a uv light in a clear tube that the water goes by that kills all the algae! Takes about 4/5 minutes a day. Then just throw the hose back into the pond & your done till tomorrow. I paid 120 yrs ago & it’s been worth every penny. I order filter pads & new uv light every spring & replace them & that’s it! Piece of cake!
Thanks for the recommendation! I’m glad to see you had good results with this one

Reaction score
Country
United States
sorry im not a small pond keeper but i will say any pump and filter that says its good for your 400 gallon pond is saying so with absolute optimum conditions . light fish load and feeding light and plants. in short i would go with double the recommended size so an 800 is where i would start.

but if iwas to pick a brand it would be the green reset or any other that has a plug cleaning bar that way you can clean the filter without destroying your bacterial load.
Good to know! Most of the filters I’ve seen were rated for over that luckily, but the temporary pump I bought is for the eaxt pond size specification. I have a few backup pumps with higher gph output though so I will look into keeping those in use

Ask a Question