Plant Recommendations

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What plants would you recommend for the pond that bloom all summer long and could stay in the pond year round? Something other than water lilies, please. I have plenty of those for now and plenty of greenery. But I'd like to have more flowering plants in there. I think I can squeeze in one, maybe two more pots.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, but I have those in the waterfall and in a floating planter. Really looking for perennial plants. Sorry, should have stated that before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are sitting in water on the edges of the waterfall. No soil at all, just bare root, held in place by a small rock on the roots. Some are in full sun, some are shaded by the shade cloth over the pond.

The ones in the floating planter are also bare root in the water and under the shade cloth, so mostly light shade.

There are pictures in a thread about planting impatiens in the filter. Just search this site and it should come up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Mine are sitting in water on the edges of the waterfall. No soil at all, just bare root, held in place by a small rock on the roots. Some are in full sun, some are shaded by the shade cloth over the pond.

The ones in the floating planter are also bare root in the water and under the shade cloth, so mostly light shade.

There are pictures in a thread about planting impatiens in the filter. Just search this site and it should come up.
This was great information! Thank you! I am going out to buy I patience today!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here’s the thing with perennials - they have a bloom period that is rarely if ever all season long. That’s what makes annuals so attractive to gardeners.

What you can do is choose a variety of blooming plants that will bloom in succession. For example, marsh marigold in early spring water irises in late spring to early summer lizard tail from midsummer to early fall, etc.. any Hardy plants can stay in the pond you around as long as it is deep enough during the cold winter months.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can you tell me more about Impatiens for my pond. Will they grow as marginals ? How much water can they handle? What about sun? I am always looking for ways to add colour to my pond.
Here is a recent post. Also, search impatiens. I have seen all of your questions addressed at one time or another.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for that information @Lisak1. Never thought about it that way.

What perennial pond plant would have the longest blooming season? Maybe Pickerel Weed? Cardinal Flower?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It’s so hard to say - so much is determined by the weather each year - hard winter, early spring, lots or not enough rain, your particular zone, etc. For example some years I get a week of blooms from my peonies; this year we had almost a full month. Some years we have water lily blooms by may 1; other years it’s not until June. Every year is so different in the garden - that’s what keeps me coming back for more!

I suggest you plant as many types of flowering plants as your pond allows and enjoy each as they come into their “season”.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What plants would you recommend for the pond that bloom all summer long and could stay in the pond year round? Something other than water lilies, please. I have plenty of those for now and plenty of greenery. But I'd like to have more flowering plants in there. I think I can squeeze in one, maybe two more pots.

Thanks in advance.
Pickerel weed, creeping Jenny maybe even watercress if you're willing to keep an eye on it.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My forget-me-not bloom for maybe 2 months. Too bad my fish destroy most of the plant each year. And if you want land perennials, echinacea bloom 2 1/2 months for me, and my mums bloom 4+ months.
Forget-me-nots on the right:
plants - blue flag iris and forget me nots 2018-6-3.JPG

Mums with some echinacea:
2023-8-30 garage bed 5.jpg

From left the right: phlox, mums (just starting to bloom), echinacea, daisies, more echinacea:
2023-7-30 pond.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for that information @Lisak1. Never thought about it that way.

What perennial pond plant would have the longest blooming season? Maybe Pickerel Weed? Cardinal Flower?
In my pond the pickerel rush bloom from late spring/early summer (they just started opening some blooms in the past few days) until frost takes them down sometime in October/November. Other than that, my forget-me-not are the most reliable of constant bloomers. Otherwise, I agree with Lisak1 that you need a variety of different blooming time perennial plants to keep things colorful throughout the growing season. Or, plant a few annuals.

Ask a Question