Parasite, tumor, or normal?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 4,000 gallon pond with about 50 fish. The fish are all acting normal but I noticed these bumps on one of the fish. I am not sure when they developed, but it must be within the last few months. I recently built a sand filter and had to perform multiple water changes while it was being built. I am hoping someone could tell me if this is a sign of parasitic infection, a stress reaction due to the water changes, or if this is something normal.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240725_201318_tinyCam PRO.jpg
    Screenshot_20240725_201318_tinyCam PRO.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those look like tumors to me. Some of my fish have them to different degrees. They don't seem to bother the fish, or at least they don't for years.

I had one fish that had them for several years, and was fine. He eventually stopped eating and seemed generally unwell and was euthanized. I have no idea if the tumors were a factor, or if the cause of his illness was something entirely different. There were no other apparent symptoms.

I don't consider them normal, but they aren't that unusual either with goldfish.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We've had several fish with the same warty, lumpy, growths. One developed a very large single tumor - it eventually ruptured and the fish died. The other one is still living happily in our pond. The guy we bought some of our fish from said the same thing - sometimes it happens, no idea why.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine too have gotten these bumps and I just leave them be and let them live out their lives. They can go for years like that acting perfectly normal.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Shubunkin fish had tumors all over we named her Cheeto she was almost 6 years old and finally died. They were also on her head & her eye covering her whole body she finally died. She couldn’t see and I think had one too close to brain or something. She lived happily until death.

Ask a Question