Osmocote different now?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Refreshing my memory before I repot my waterlilies. I didn’t do anything last summer and the water lilies started floating because they had out grown their pans. Researching Osmocote I read it’s now got plastic that doesn’t break down? Anybody know about this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I read the same thing. I did some research and the manufacturer indicates the *plastic* is biodegradable but takes a couple of years.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well that's just yuck! Who wants that stuff floating around in the pond? And sound like deceit to me, trying to make the bags look fuller and prolly charging more too? why else would they put it in there?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The prill coating that makes Osmocote release nutrients gradually over time is a plastic 'resin'. Different sources claim it is made from petroleum or linseed oil, perhaps both. The plastic does slowly disintegrate, but it can remain for years in some situations. Also the 'dissolved' plastic isn't just 'gone'. It's now in slurry or solution somewhere in the soil or water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well that's just yuck! Who wants that stuff floating around in the pond? And sound like deceit to me, trying to make the bags look fuller and prolly charging more too? why else would they put it in there?
one possibility is oil all plastics give off an oily residue

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are starting to think aluminum cans can increase the chance of alzheimer's. and plastics for all kinds of stuff . i say everything in moderation

Ask a Question