Novel Ways of Covering Fish Ponds?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all.

Our fish pond is at our vacation house, so we are not always here. While we do put up a net to catch the leaves in the fall, it's a real ordeal, makes it impossible to enjoy the pond, and because of the way we have to install it, plenty of predators could still get in.

We have a Ring camera that has been helpful in scaring away a heron and a cat who were scoping out the area. We have a fake heron, but that works best when you can move it frequently.

The floating octagonal things seem to be a lot of work for not very much pay off.

I've been trying to brainstorm creative ways of deterring predators while we are gone. This will probably sound crazy, but do you think floating inner tubes on top of the fish pond will deter predators?

Any other creative ways of deterring predators or covering a pond?

I'm attaching a couple of pictures of my pond.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• D2826117-AD0A-4323-9BDB-A4FA8E71C075_1_201_a.jpeg
    D2826117-AD0A-4323-9BDB-A4FA8E71C075_1_201_a.jpeg
    411.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 5E614955-CB9A-4559-9F0B-8FE0B323E9F8_1_201_a.jpeg
    5E614955-CB9A-4559-9F0B-8FE0B323E9F8_1_201_a.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 32
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Maybe some shade sails? Aerial predators don't like ducking beneath them to hunt or to escape. And maybe some solar motion lights would help deter the land based critters.
Pretty spot you have there :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All that would work for me was wide weave fisherman's netting attached to a short wire fence around the bottom. Not sure where you live but if it gets hot and snakes or anything small enough that can squeeze through will be visiting your pond regularly. Since you're not there all the time you won't know and can't use traps or put out deterrent potions etc. Maybe electric fencing too?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Tall posts in the four corners from the pond, (tall enough for you to walk under without ducking) stretching a black wide weave net as @j.w mentioned over the top and sides running cable up near the tops of the posts Around the perimeter. Then clip the net to the cable with some type of carabiner or hook, so you can open it like a curtain when you are home. This is what I did around my pond which is probably three time the size of yours.

Really anything else is an effort in futility imo.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all.

Our fish pond is at our vacation house, so we are not always here. While we do put up a net to catch the leaves in the fall, it's a real ordeal, makes it impossible to enjoy the pond, and because of the way we have to install it, plenty of predators could still get in.

We have a Ring camera that has been helpful in scaring away a heron and a cat who were scoping out the area. We have a fake heron, but that works best when you can move it frequently.

The floating octagonal things seem to be a lot of work for not very much pay off.

I've been trying to brainstorm creative ways of deterring predators while we are gone. This will probably sound crazy, but do you think floating inner tubes on top of the fish pond will deter predators?

Any other creative ways of deterring predators or covering a pond?

I'm attaching a couple of pictures of my pond.

Thanks!!
Floating inner tubes might help a bit, but you can also try adding motion-activated sprinklers to scare off predators - fingers crossed the predator is not looking for some fresh water to drink from. A netting that is also easy to put up and take down will work - this mesh tarp works well but any netting will do as long as it's durable and easy to secure.

Ask a Question