New Member and New (First and Only) Pond Build

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been gathering information and materials for several years for / on building ponds and was very happy to recently stumble upon this forum. Looks like lots of expert information here.
A little bit about my build.
This is going to be a multi year build. I'll be doing this mostly by myself but with help as required. I dug the pond 2 years ago. It is approx. 100 feet in dia. and 12 feet in depth in the middle at spring time water levels. I'll loose 3 feet of depth during the summer, but I have an idea on how to maintain it at a higher level. Details later. The pond was dug in pure sand, without a liner. The water table where the pond is dug is very high.
20220424_161311[1].jpg
My intent is add a stream halfway between the the pond and the house. Distance / length will be about 100 feet. One concern I have is that the elevation drop from the start of the stream to spring time water level is only about 3 feet.
I intend to have an up flow bog at the streams head. I'm going to need a lot of guidance on this project and I'll be leaning on you guys for tips and techniques.
I've got access to a lot of used swimming pool liners for the stream and bog, which I plan to cover with HD landscaping fabric. Underlayment will be sand. I have also picked up several hundred (I know, that's a lot) milk crates - they were a package deal - all for $1 each, to be used in the bog.
20240309_101857[1].jpg

Last weekend I was able to import a lot of stone from the farmer down the road - lots more available if needed.
20240428_151633[1].jpg

The end goal is have a low maintenance pond with a few fish thrown in for good measure. For sure you'll see me asking for advice as I forge on. Thanks, Charlie.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

What a project! Will be fun to follow along.

Ask a Question