New here. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new to the forum, but have had an outdoor pond in a tank for several seasons now. I've learned a lot since we started, to the detriment of my fish over the years but I've gotten better, they've gotten better. We've mainly goldfish and Comets, and they have grown quite well and eat very well.
Two days ago I cleaned my filters like I do once every 4-6 weeks, or when the water starts to get a little cloudy. Minimal algae growth, some of which the fish take care of. After cleaning off the filter pads and bio balls, I agitated the algae on the bottom a bit with a garden hose, once again, nothing out of the ordinary, and started the filters back up. After a couple of hours, the water was crystal clear. I added the usual de-chlorinator and the AlgaeFix.
A few hours later, one of my Fancytails was swimming on its side and gasping for air. Yesterday I added some Stress Coat. He didn't make it. I found him this morning.

I also noticed that one of the Calico Comets has growths around his eyes and the tail fin is greatly reduced, looking like someone neatly cut off about a third of it. I don't have a photo of this one.

What could it be and what should I do? This is a hundred gallon Tarter trough.

1000004531 (1).jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How soon after you added the water did you add the dechlorinator? Do you have an air stone of any kind? The algae fix can reduce the oxygen levels. Dechlor needs to be added at time tap water is added.
How many fish do you have in the tank?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you tested the water? Clear water has nothing to do with good, healthy water.

Filters should be kept clean, not cleaned just when the water looks cloudy. They should be cleaned once a week, not every few months.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How soon after you added the water did you add the dechlorinator? Do you have an air stone of any kind? The algae fix can reduce the oxygen levels. Dechlor needs to be added at time tap water is added.
How many fish do you have in the tank?
Hello,

I didn't really add water this time, it was extremely minimal (a couple of gallons at most) to the 100 gal tank.
I added the dechlorinator right after cleaning everything. I've done it like this for years.
I have 8 fish now. The dead one was the largest. There is one almost the same size. All the rest are smaller. Comets, Shubunkin, Orandas.
I have two filters running in small boxes with 3 foam filters each and the bio balls. They run 24/7.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you tested the water? Clear water has nothing to do with good, healthy water.

Filters should be kept clean, not cleaned just when the water looks cloudy. They should be cleaned once a week, not every few months.
I have never tested the water. Not sure what to get to do this.
I used to clean once a week but felt that it was overkill, as true ponds don't really get cleaned, or an I wrong? I cleaned it 3 weeks ago and did the same process I've always done.
I've got several plants in there also, Pond lily, horsetail and Iris. All in pots submerged. Nothing added new.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not sure what you mean by a true pond, but any contained pond will need some sort of filtration and any mechanical filtration will need to be kept clean.

For tests, you will need liquid type tests, not strips, for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH. testing the water is the only way to know if it is in good shape.

Sorry for the loss of your fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure what you mean by a true pond, but any contained pond will need some sort of filtration and any mechanical filtration will need to be kept clean.

For tests, you will need liquid type tests, not strips, for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH. testing the water is the only way to know if it is in good shape.

Sorry for the loss of your fish.
Thanks.
LOL, yeah, true pond vs container pond.

Anyway, can you suggest the type of water test kit you are talking about?
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used "contained pond" for one that doesn't have a continuous flow of water into and out of it. Most of us here have ponds that recirculate the water, not one with a stream through it, or a spring beneath it that constantly feeds fresh water through it.

That's a good testing kit that @addy1 posted. It does not have a KH test with it so that will have to be purchased separately.

Hope your remaining fish are doing well.

Ask a Question