Mini ice-age

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Every year is a new adventure seeing what happens around the pond. :LOL: This year I appear to be building my own glacier. We're having some very cold ground temperatures, so I've had almost constant ice since mid-November, resulting in this incredible build-up over the past few weeks.

To get an idea of size, the waterfall bricks are around 24" tall. I think the leading edge of this ice flow is about 8" thick...
img_7607.jpg

A little closer... By the way, the red plant at the top center is my hardy carnivorous pitcher plant, which still seems to be hanging in there!
img_7608.jpg

And from the side...
img_7611.jpg

I noticed today there's a little bit of frozen glacier creeping out of the pond around the left side, but otherwise its been staying very self-contained. I'm going to leave it be as long as there's no huge diversion of water outside the pond, and see if it creates a nice dome around the waterfall for the Winter.

Reaction score
LOL... love the thread title... the little iceburg looks really cool... will be interesting to watch it progress....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Fun to watch it build up and keep showing us the ice formations so we can watch it grow w/ you,thanks :razz:
Hnewyear.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the frozen tundra :razz: all you need is a boat in the pic and a close up and people will think it is a pic of Alaska

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Bet Lou could put that Titanic in that photo for ya.............he does a good job on the restoration, maybe he can add stuff in to a photo?

thnyparty.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Some new pics today... The ice flow continues to grow, and we are having several nights this week with overnight lows well below zero (F). I thought I had lost a lot of water last night, but apparently at some point the water was trickling out on top of the ice sheet - so now the main sheet of ice is up to the top of the rocks around the edge of the pond, but still contained.

I do have one area that overflowed behind the pond initially, but now that the cap around the edge of the waterfall is sealed, no more water is leaking out this direction. I just love how the sun was shining through the ice when I grabbed this shot.
img_7614.jpg

The cap around the left side is closing up, and the right side has started forming now...
img_7617.jpg

@sissy - since you mentioned 'frozen tundra' I decided to try and get creative with my shots. How does this one look?
img_7619.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wonder if it will come together totally and then move more towards the falls? If so then will the water come out over the top of the ice on the surface of the pond and form thicker on top? We shall see and it is a very cool photo!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
@j.w - I think that's exactly what happened last night! Somewhere the water was coming out over the top of the ice, so I ended up with some overflow in places, and the ice is so thick now I bet I could stand on it...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that happened to me 2010 winter it made an ice over flow and almost emptied the pond and you could not tell until you looked down into the water and only saw what was left and that was just over a foot of water and if I had not caught it then I may have fish cicles

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey why don't you give it a try........standing on it..........just make sure your wife is there w/ a camera and some blankets ready :LOL:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful pictures, love them! Love that last one. The ice in the water almost looks like a blanket of fog over a valley

Ask a Question