Marginal plant soil

Reaction score
Country
United States
When you plant something that's marginal and may be only a few inches submerged do you use the "typical" potting soil for the plant or do you revise the soil mix to include some aquatic soil to minimize the soil from clouding the pond water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I discovered that cat litter is the best planting medium. I used to buy the "aquatic plant mix" until I saw it was the same thing, just more expensive. Placement depends on the plant - I have Pickerel weeds planted between the pond border rocks, bare. But I also have Sunpatient planted between rocks, but it's in a square of underlayment with some unscented cat litter. All my bog plants are simply in pea gravel.
1725100189068.png
1725100439788.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Other than my water lilies, none of my plants are in containers, so they're all just planted in pea gravel on the shelves and along the streams/edges.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just stick them in the gravel or wedge them between some rocks. Plant roots are dirt magnets - any time I have to thin out my marginals, the roots are full of dirt, as if I had planted them in the ground. Pretty amazing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just stick them in the gravel or wedge them between some rocks. Plant roots are dirt magnets - any time I have to thin out my marginals, the roots are full of dirt, as if I had planted them in the ground. Pretty amazing.
Same here, tons of dirt around the roots.

Ask a Question