Map + Painted Turtle hybrid or....

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I had an interested situation this Spring.

Last Fall, a neighbor was looking to rehome a female Map Turtle. They had had the turtle for 10 years and their daughter moved out and left the turtle with them. The turtle had always been kept alone in their aquarium and never interacted with another turtle. I added her to my pond with 2 Eastern Painted Turtles, that I added as hatchlings 3 summers ago, so 2.5 years old.

This May, I found 5 hatchling Map Turtles in the pond! They all exhibit pure Map Turtle characteristics, with no apparent Eastern Painted Turtle traits.

Attachments

• IMG_9452.jpg
    IMG_9452.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 9

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So I had an interested situation this Spring.

Last Fall, a neighbor was looking to rehome a female Map Turtle. They had had the turtle for 10 years and their daughter moved out and left the turtle with them. The turtle had always been kept alone in their aquarium and never interacted with another turtle. I added her to my pond with 2 Eastern Painted Turtles, that I added as hatchlings 3 summers ago, so 2.5 years old.

This May, I found 5 hatchling Map Turtles in the pond! They all exhibit pure Map Turtle characteristics, with no apparent Eastern Painted Turtle traits.
So they breed w/other types and come out all maps?

Ask a Question