Liner repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in our new house I've inherited a large (40x20m) liner pond that leaks. Unfortunately as well as losing water it will not allow me to empty it completely - water flows back in through the holes that are under the surface when I try to pump it away. I have decided therefore that the depth of the pond straddles the water table and the depth of water goes up and down to reflect the height of the water table at any given point in the year. I've thought long and hard about what I can do to access the holes in the bottom and am currently cleaning out all the debris in the 300mm that's currently sitting in the bottom in the vain hope that we'll have a dry September and it will fully empty as the water table drops (which it seems to be doing at the rate of about 10mm a day. My question is, assuming I won't be able to fully empty the pond and fix the old liner, can one simply lay another liner over the old? It will need to be laid over some remaining leaf mulch and some remaining water. Any comments will be gratefully received! Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unfortunately if you have a leak that is below water table you can not just find hole a patch it with most types of liners that I know of.

Flex seal claims they have a caulking that can be used wet. If that could work and you can temporarily stop the water I would then patch over the flex seal now that the area is dry.

Either that or you could and should anyways if you have water under your liner. Is to get a couple drain pipes down to the bottom of the liner. Water takes the path of least resistance so if you give the water an easier way out it will take that.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

What @GBBUDD said. High water tables are a pain. Doing a repair like that is out of my league. I’d get a new liner, but absolutely address the high water table issue first! I would not recommend adding another liner over the old one until that step is taken. ( I have clay soil and a high water table. My solution was to partially raise the pond edges so that the water level was above ground level).

Do you know what kind of liner it is (material made of and thickness)?

Could you post some pics of your pond and the liner?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
FrogHiThere.gif
and welcome @brightony
I think you need to rip that old liner out and start anew! Make sure to do something to make that water not effect your liner w/water under it pushing it upwards.As @GBBUDD stated If the water can drain out from underground to somewhere lower that would be great! If not than you will need to raise the pond upwards as @Mmathis suggested to where the water underneath won't effect it anymore. How deep is the pond now?

Ask a Question