Liner - EPDM or RVC, pond store or online? (in the central US)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi folks.

Excited to report it is time to line my natural pool. I had planned on an EPDM, ideally from a local store. I struck out at one place, the other only has the size I need - 20’ x 30’ in RVC. There are so many options online, I am nervous to purchase something unreliable.

1. Can anyone weigh in on the RVC liner? For context, no part will be exposed to UV and I will be putting underlayment and geotextile below and above, then mortaring stones on top. (The stone won’t be the watertight membrane, the liner will be.)
2. Can anyone recommend reliable sources for liners in the US? I searched other groups, with only one or two people suggesting just a few places.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
just liners.com
underwaterwharehouse
aquascapes
webs

RVC i do not know but if i had to guess i'd venture to believe that stands for reinforced vinyl chloride. inground pools are rvc and whats the first thing people insist on is no belts as it can tear with a scrape. only two products i would use yes epdm and hdpe , epdm is also sensitive to being cut but is far more durable and elastic

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thank you. I have only heard of justliners, I’ll have to check out the rest. I had a feeling about RVC so I’m glad you weighed in. Thank you very much for your help
Check out roofing companies or irrigation ones! I bought mine at both. First pond I used from the roofers and 2nd from irrigation one. They have it on rolls but not sure they sell it in 20ft widths. Both places the stuff lasted forever. Still using it after 20 yrs. 1st one I bought 60mil epdm. It was tough stuff, second one I bought 45 mil and it is tough also but more flexible than the 60mil. Both places I got a better deal than online or at pond stores. We had to go get it ourselves tho and they put it in our truck bed. Heavy stuff to move so get help! Might be worth it if you have those places near you to check it out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
hi!
rvc liner is a pretty common option, especially if it won't be exposed to uv light like you are. rvc resists chemicals well and has decent puncture resistance. It can be cheaper and easier to install than epdm. but it can be less flexible which can make it difficult to install on uneven surfaces. and RVC can have a shorter lifespan than epdm if the material is subject to stretching or ground movement. but with your combination of underlayment, geotextile and rock protection on top, this liner can serve well. as for buying liner, it might be globy.com - they work worldwide or just the US this is The pond guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check out roofing companies or irrigation ones! I bought mine at both. First pond I used from the roofers and 2nd from irrigation one. They have it on rolls but not sure they sell it in 20ft widths. Both places the stuff lasted forever. Still using it after 20 yrs. 1st one I bought 60mil epdm. It was tough stuff, second one I bought 45 mil and it is tough also but more flexible than the 60mil. Both places I got a better deal than online or at pond stores. We had to go get it ourselves tho and they put it in our truck bed. Heavy stuff to move so get help! Might be worth it if you have those places near you to check it out.
I appreciate it! I went with a 45mil EPDM from Webbs. Delivery was the way to go, in retrospect. Thank you!

Ask a Question