Lead painted concrete submerged and on slope

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there any chance that periodic fish kills could be from lead painted concrete that (for erosion control) has been placed on the slope, in the water & around a large pipe outletting into the pond ? The painted concrete was 20 years old & have been on the slope & in the water for 5 or 6 years or more. Chips of the paint have (swab) tested positive and i am concerned about leaching lead into the water that may be harmful?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lead can seriously affect people in a very short period of time, as littlec as minutes depending on the exposure, like burning and inhalation. so long term soaking and degradation i would say absolutely. one affect is brain damage , or blood poisoning

Reaction score
Country
United States
lead can seriously affect people in a very short period of time, as littlec as minutes depending on the exposure, like burning and inhalation. so long term soaking and degradation i would say absolutely. one affect is brain damage , or blood poisoning
OK, that would be humans, but would it harm fish or aquatic life?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes. They are possibly the most vulnerable species to be affected by lead paint. They may not die right away, but the lead builds up in the tissues and organs and will kill them over time.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Yes. They are possibly the most vulnerable species to be affected by lead paint. They may not die right away, but the lead builds up in the tissues and organs and will kill them over time.
Ok, but if left undisturbed (except when after rains & water flows out of the 42" pipe) will the lead leach from the painted comcrete into the water? Just as (above ground) lead paint is not harmful unless disturbed and made airborne by dust, etc..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm not clear on where the paint is in relation to the pond. But if there is any chance that the rain will run into the pond from the painted surfaces, I would think that there could be exposure.

Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not to sound snarky, but I think you’ve gotten your answer, at least as far as the expertise of the members of this group are able to help you. Yes, lead is and can be harmful to the environment, including the fish, if said water is leaching into the water system and surrounding soils. This sounds like an issue you should be taking up with the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)!

You said these paint chips were testing positive for lead, and the painted concrete was utilized 20 years ago as erosion control. The EPA banned the use of lead paint in 1978, so that is concerning.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not clear on where the paint is in relation to the pond. But if there is any chance that the rain will run into the pond from the painted surfaces, I would think that there could be exposure.

Not worth the risk in my opinion.
The painted concrete is around the end of the pipe & away from the pipe several feet, as well as in front of & below the bottom of the pipe (and IN the water) so that the water flows over the concrete that has actually cratered out in front of the pipe due to the flow of water...mind you, this is a 42 inch concrete pipe apprx. 150 feet long (that goes under a street) that takes runoff from a 65 acre field...(i also have a 1/4 acre vegetative buffer area upland the headwall to the pipe to control surface erosion and slow the surface flow somewhat)...the neighbors have mentioned periodic fish kills that i do not know the symptoms prior, as i do not live on the pond. I only use a dock & camping area adjacent. I have our local Health Dept. testing the paint chips as well to get an independant test other than my home swab tests...the HD has made the comment (before testing) that even if tests positive for lead paint, they dont think water flow or submersion all these years would cause leaching...i tend to think otherwise, thus my research...fyi, i did not place the painted concrete around the pipe or in the water...a neighbor did years ago when he demolished & replaced the concrete around his in-ground pool & huge patio area.

Ask a Question