Large Urn Filter

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
I recently got 2 new fish and had to set up a quarentine pond to keep them in. I set it up using a 100 gal stock tank and a skippy filter made out of a trash can. I have decided to keep the quarentine set up permenantly so that I don't have to scramble to get one ready anymore. My wife is on board but I have to make it look nice because she (and me) aren't feeling the trash can look. So I when to the local hardware store and found a very large Urn Fountain that they had in the back that was missing the pump and had some damage on the bottom.
UrnFilter002.jpg

I bought it for 75 dollars and was in business.

Because it was a fountain and not a real urn it only had a small hole in the top so I had to cut the top open (If you are looking to do something like this a real pot or urn would be much easier). I also had to use a differant shower drain then I usually do because it had a 6" hole in the bottom of it where I would usually only put a 2 1/4" hole. I was able to figure out something to work however.
UrnFilter008.jpg

I also have had to figure out a few things because of the thickness of the Urn is a little thinker then 3/4" were I am use to going though material that is more like 1/8" max. There was a 1/2" hole at the bottom that was used for a tub to pass through to feed the fountain water, I drilled it larger to pass a 3/4" bulkhead through. Thus plugging the excisting hole and giving myself a place to bring in my water.
UrnFilter005.jpg

I will have to put a check valve in to make sure if I turn off the pump all the water doesn't back flow into the pond. I would have probably just piped in from the top if the hole wasn't aready there.
I used a peice left over from the thing I bought at a recycle center to make my grid for the garbage can filter to make a grid for the Urn Filter. It just happened to be the right size, Bonus!
UrnFilter007.jpg

My next big goal will be drilling the outlet hole. Unfortunatly I don't have anything to drill a 2 1/4" hole in a pot so I will have to decide if I want to bite the bullet and buy a diamond hole saw or just rent one. We will see.

Reaction score
I saw a urn like that in home depot - I was wondering if it could be done. Now I know.
Very pretty filter.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
A little updated pictures and explination.
UrnFilter044.jpg

This is the finished pond. Made with the stocktank you see in the first picture I posted about the urn filter. You can't really see it in the picture but the water from the filter is overflowing and going down the side of the Urn. I would think that the water should be getting a lot of oxygen into it do to the surface area of the water all around the Urn.
UrnFilter027.jpg

UrnFilter042.jpg

UrnFilter041.jpg
This is the Water going into the Urn. I had to put a check valve inline because there was no way for me to stop it from back flowing otherwise.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
UrnFilter025.jpg

UrnFilter039.jpg

I had to pipe the dump through the tank to allow for me to clean out the filter. On the outside of the stock tank I have pipe continuing and a ball valve to open it up.

I think it came out looking really good. I am thinking of getting a larger pump so that I get even more flow coming out of the Urn, the filter should be able to handle a lot more flow and I think it might look more impressive with more water running allong the outside of the Urn. The water does however cover the entire exterior of the Urn.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Not sure on the correct name for the material is but it is like a buffing pad made for floor sanders but thicker and more corse. 2" thick and White. Like a scrubby pads fat older brother. Its pretty common at the pond stores around here. I just cut it into circles to start at the bottom and then cut all the scraps into 2x4 peices and through them on top. I am thinking of leaving the first 2 pads in (about 4" thick) at the bottom and switching to 1/2" straping in a bag on top but still not sure.

Reaction score
FredrikAnderson said:
A little updated pictures and explination.
UrnFilter044.jpg

This is the finished pond. Made with the stocktank you see in the first picture I posted about the urn filter. You can't really see it in the picture but the water from the filter is overflowing and going down the side of the Urn. I would think that the water should be getting a lot of oxygen into it do to the surface area of the water all around the Urn.
UrnFilter027.jpg

UrnFilter042.jpg

UrnFilter041.jpg
This is the Water going into the Urn. I had to put a check valve inline because there was no way for me to stop it from back flowing otherwise.

Love the urn Filter, now if I could just get HD to sell me one for the price of a trash can.. In this last picture, what type of curved pvc did you use? Electrical conduit?

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the positive coments. The filter media isn't in it yet. I plan to move my media from a different flter over to it but still preparing for the swap. It will be the 2" white filter media that looks like scrubby pads. 3 layers of solid mat followed by pieces cut into 4x2 chunks.

Ask a Question