Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi there,
I must have had a koi baby stowaway on a pond store plant within the last couple of years. This spring I noticed that one of my Goldie’s seemed much larger than the other. I researched their differences and have learned that he/she is indeed a koi. I am guessing that he breed last year with some of my goldfish and I have a handful of dark colored mutts in the pond as well. They don’t seem to be an issue yet. I never wanted to keep any koi, and have always intended to only keep goldfish and rosey red minnows. I have been watching him grow bigger and bigger this summer and I don’t know when he will stop growing! He is very very pushy at meal time and has now eaten hundreds of rosey red minnows. I adore rosey red minnows and do not want to see their population decimated in my pond; especially for this one big koi fish.

The pond store in my area has stated that they would take him, but I feel really bad. This pond is all he/she knows. Will he survive? I just don’t know what to do and would love any words of advice or wisdom here.

Thank you kindly

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also was thinking, maybe if I feed the koi more often, would it be less likely to keep eating the minnows?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I feel your pain, but I don’t think the fish is going to care one way or another. Animals are adaptable, so as long as it goes to a good home, where it will have its natural needs met…..I think it will be happy there! You can always request visitation privileges ❣️

Think of this koi like you would a very pesky weed in your garden. The poor weed only wants to survive, and it might be a pretty weed…..but you don’t want it there. You will work and work and work to get rid of it. You will never enjoy that weed…..until it’s gone.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you have any pictures to share? I agree with you that I would feel bad to return a fish just because it was bigger than I planned for. Rosie red minnows can breed prolifically. So population control may help the total numbers stay reasonable. And some of those plain colored babies may get prettier with age.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I feel your pain, but I don’t think the fish is going to care one way or another. Animals are adaptable, so as long as it goes to a good home, where it will have its natural needs met…..I think it will be happy there! You can always request visitation privileges ❣️

Think of this koi like you would a very pesky weed in your garden. The poor weed only wants to survive, and it might be a pretty weed…..but you don’t want it there. You will work and work and work to get rid of it. You will never enjoy that weed…..until it’s gone.
Pesky weed is a great analogy. Even a pesky weed that I appreciate and find positive attributes can take over my garden.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have any pictures to share? I agree with you that I would feel bad to return a fish just because it was bigger than I planned for. Rosie red minnows can breed prolifically. So population control may help the total numbers stay reasonable. And some of those plain colored babies may get prettier with age.
I was starting to think about the need for population control of the minnows. I got seven at the pond store in 2021, and by this spring I had hundreds. Looks like I only have around 20 or so now remaining. I did want their breeding to slow, but not to decimate them. They are a really fun fish to watch, interesting behaviors.

I haven’t seen the koi eat the minnows, in just assumed because he stalks around where they tend to hover at the stream basin. It is possible that it is bullfrogs.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there,
I must have had a koi baby stowaway on a pond store plant within the last couple of years. This spring I noticed that one of my Goldie’s seemed much larger than the other. I researched their differences and have learned that he/she is indeed a koi. I am guessing that he breed last year with some of my goldfish and I have a handful of dark colored mutts in the pond as well. They don’t seem to be an issue yet. I never wanted to keep any koi, and have always intended to only keep goldfish and rosey red minnows. I have been watching him grow bigger and bigger this summer and I don’t know when he will stop growing! He is very very pushy at meal time and has now eaten hundreds of rosey red minnows. I adore rosey red minnows and do not want to see their population decimated in my pond; especially for this one big koi fish.

The pond store in my area has stated that they would take him, but I feel really bad. This pond is all he/she knows. Will he survive? I just don’t know what to do and would love any words of advice or wisdom here.

Thank you kindly
Of course it will survive. It won't know any different. Have you actually seen it eat a minnow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Don't feel bad. I had a great relationship with my aquarium store and "traded" my "too big" fish for smaller ones for over a decade. It's common practice. The koi will move onto a home with better conditions for a large fish.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Of course it will survive. It won't know any different. Have you actually seen it eat a minnow?
No, I have not. I’ve just never had such a dramatic loss of their population and accredited to big boy koi.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't feel bad. I had a great relationship with my aquarium store and "traded" my "too big" fish for smaller ones for over a decade. It's common practice. The koi will move onto a home with better conditions for a large fish.
Thank you

Ask a Question