Is domestic water used for pond running water. Is it practical to dig to find a pond water source where dowsing shows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new garden pond is slightly downhill so no water at the upper end. There's no natural surface water nearby so I presume domestic is used. I know nothing on this subject so need very basic lessons on very basic questions. Water does run underground thru my small garden from higher ground - I can dowse - and am tempted to find out this way where most water runs and get someone to dig and see what we find - hopefully not a pipe!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think most of us fill our ponds with " domestic" water, from city water or a well. If water is treated with chlorine and you have fish , be sure to add a declorinator . Hope this helps :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any water fund within a few feet source, reason being oils from can pesticides and fertilizers may be present and have not been filtered out by mother nature as yet.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My new garden pond is slightly downhill so no water at the upper end. There's no natural surface water nearby so I presume domestic is used. I know nothing on this subject so need very basic lessons on very basic questions. Water does run underground thru my small garden from higher ground - I can dowse - and am tempted to find out this way where most water runs and get someone to dig and see what we find - hopefully not a pipe!
Can you post some photo's of all of this as it would be easier to perhaps figure it out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know how to! Nor know anyone who knows how to - which is why I need basic answers to basic questions. What is the professional description of people who do this sort of work, then perhaps I can find someone and make decisions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most of us just use a hose from our homes to put water in the pond. Just be sure to use a dechlorinator that you can buy online or from a pet store if the water has chlorine in it. Most city water does. Well water normally doesn't. Chlorine is deadly to fish so a dechlorinator is important if you have city water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Are you saying that it is too far from your water supply that goes to your house? How far is it and why can't you just run a long amount of hose to your pond?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
By “domestic water,” do you mean tap water? If so, that’s what most of us use. Just run a hose from the spigot to the pond. If your water contains chlorine, you will need to add something to remove that.
Post some pics, just be carful with unknown sources of water — you never know what kind of chemicals or bacteria might be in the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can’t wait to ask my husband to give me a glass of domestic water.

Your question is somewhat confusing. Which part of this do you not understand?

Ask a Question