Introduction: Readingj and the Gold Fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in the Denver, Colorado area. I had the idea to build a fish pond about 25 years ago, and the pond has grown and evolved a little over the years, but it is still relatively small and simple. It is about 50 sq feet of surface area, 2 1/2 feet deep at the deepest point. Had 6th and 7th generation fish in it up to two years or so ago when a heron visited. Six or seven fish survived the initial onslaught, but eventually all disappeared, so a year ago I bought 20 feeder goldfish and put them in there. They have thrived and are doing well.

I have a small waterfall, with a 1800 gph pump. I had a larger pump up until a few months ago, inadvertently bought a smaller pump when the old one died. I do not do a good job of keeping the water clear - in the summer the algae make the water completely cloudy. Obviously it clears out in the winter, and I leave the fish and the pump going all winter. Sometimes it will freeze to a depth of 4 or 5 inches, but that's it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Awelcomedoggie.GIF
@readingj

Ask a Question