I'm adding 9 gallons an hour - on day 3

Reaction score
Country
United States
link to my build is here in the photos section

so far i had a union joint to one of the porch scuppers that wasn't tight. I had to trim the female end of it down by 3/4" to fit it and the other couplings between a couple of joists... fixed that leak

the bulkhead on my hdx bin leaked because of what appears to be the sticker lol... vinyl sticker had thickness and was slippery, plus my 3" matala valve was unsupported... bricked and shimmed that up so it's not pulling on the hdx bin wall. that was leaking a stream of water

next i need to check the bulkhead at the pond which is only on the liner not the mortar.

there's a total of 8 waterfalls, and 2 of them splash a lot of water.

my head losses are far less than computed and I've got just about double the pump I need with a 2" valve throttling it down to almost 50%. Long term i will use that by running a fountain in the pond but for now, I bought the atlantic controller to cut the pump speed by 40% and run the valve wide open.

It's hard to tell where this 9 gallons is going so I'm going to check the pond to siphon 3" bulkhead. I can't stand seaming and didn't do an immaculate job, I'm sure there's some losses on the 4 seams in the stream.

tonight i'll shut off the scuppers and see if the pond draws down on it's own.
apologies on the long post but i suspect diy'ers "get it" lol. I did a few of this in the late 90's with a landscape company but they were straight forward submersible deals with a 1 piece liner.... that's about as simple as it gets and this is not a gigantic masterpiece of rock placement but the canals and routing is tricky.

check out the photos in link.... i'm taking 800sf of roof which is about 500 gallons per inch of rain "ish" lol.

appreciate any comments and thoughts, I've read a bunch of losing water posts and get the gist that 9 gallons an hour seems like a lot, but it's circumstantial.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
ape.gif
@hammer

Reaction score
Country
United States
update, zero water loss over night from pond to intake basin. 100% water loss in the scuppers and canals…. i have home made bulkheads

to be fair i didn’t caulk them… i have 4 of these to connect basins to a canal bypassing the spillway to empty the basin. i left the valves closed for the drains and the basins should’ve had a brick thickness of water -2”+\-… one of the basins was mostly correct but the big one was empty….. 😕. found the hole was slightly too big for the mpt side of bulkhead, put a patch over it an recut the hole. it’s seeping a little bit of water but much better.

it leaks into a landscape bed so i’m getting drip irrigation, not wasted….

Reaction score
Country
United States
the 4 youtube bulkheads were streaming water out of them. I reconstructed them adding a donut patch over my original hole in the liner to double the thickness and this allowed me to cut a MUCH better circle. I also used some liquid nails on the gasket. seam tape is bitch... be honest lol.

i reduced my losses by 75%, I'm down to
1" in 12hrs
1"=36 gallons of water
2" per day 72 gallons.

the canals are complicated, there's a lot of places for water to run down a cascading canal weir and i found one today streaming off into the mulch... hopefully that cuts it down to 1" per day.

I have no fish, so once i get my intake bay in such a way that i can shut the pump off without flooding the intake bay by using my new anjon variable speed controller yey!!! https://webbsonline.com/Item/MSVAR?...ignOemUkB5P_MG2msNfL0uJ2jJxQmxwAPdl4loLGUzc44

I have 3" siphon completely submerged on the pond side and the intake bay side with 50' of down sloped pipe. the siphon pipe can't be set wide open cause it runs faster than the pump (intentionally to ensure I never ran the pump dry)

....it's complicated.

I also got a float shut-off switch for intake bay... just in case.. to save that very expensive sequence 5800 seq21!!!

I also got the easypro autofill pond box that i'll setup in a masonry dry staked enclosure in the pond, being dry stacked the water just goes through it an allows to hide which in the winter will retain some heat from the 1/2" feed line.

lastly i got a 1/2" qwork water meter and i'm going to run either pex or vinyl 1/2 from my basement to the fill box.

pretty exciting day, it's always rewarding to fix a bunch of stuff and get bigger returns than you expect.

75% reduction in water loss is huge.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have them installed and they do work, the mating surface is pretty small though so you have to cut a very good hole and bottom out the fitting, it works a lot better if you double up the liner. the other issue is the threads that set beneath the gasket need glue or caulk to limit the water feeding via the threads. I have a couple of very tight spaces and traditional bulkheads are too big. i put a film of wheel bearing grease on the gasket so that it didn't try to twist the liner... i get that normally you don't grease gaskets but i didn't want to glue the gasket to the liner either. there's a couple drips that come out but I lose way more water now to my splashing than the fittings. I had the same idea he did in the video but the key was using the standard threads for conduit as NPT is tapered and you can't bury the threads enough to get compression between the 2 fittings. I should've used electrical conduit female thread to slip as well, not sure why he used NPT for that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
link to my build is here in the photos section

so far i had a union joint to one of the porch scuppers that wasn't tight. I had to trim the female end of it down by 3/4" to fit it and the other couplings between a couple of joists... fixed that leak

the bulkhead on my hdx bin leaked because of what appears to be the sticker lol... vinyl sticker had thickness and was slippery, plus my 3" matala valve was unsupported... bricked and shimmed that up so it's not pulling on the hdx bin wall. that was leaking a stream of water

next i need to check the bulkhead at the pond which is only on the liner not the mortar.

there's a total of 8 waterfalls, and 2 of them splash a lot of water.

my head losses are far less than computed and I've got just about double the pump I need with a 2" valve throttling it down to almost 50%. Long term i will use that by running a fountain in the pond but for now, I bought the atlantic controller to cut the pump speed by 40% and run the valve wide open.

It's hard to tell where this 9 gallons is going so I'm going to check the pond to siphon 3" bulkhead. I can't stand seaming and didn't do an immaculate job, I'm sure there's some losses on the 4 seams in the stream.

tonight i'll shut off the scuppers and see if the pond draws down on it's own.
apologies on the long post but i suspect diy'ers "get it" lol. I did a few of this in the late 90's with a landscape company but they were straight forward submersible deals with a 1 piece liner.... that's about as simple as it gets and this is not a gigantic masterpiece of rock placement but the canals and routing is tricky.

check out the photos in link.... i'm taking 800sf of roof which is about 500 gallons per inch of rain "ish" lol.

appreciate any comments and thoughts, I've read a bunch of losing water posts and get the gist that 9 gallons an hour seems like a lot, but it's circumstantial.
9 gallons an hour is most definitely a leak or do to splashing.

Ask a Question