I don't know what I'm doing now there's an issue.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new here and looking for some advice/comments....

To give a brief - I have a what i call a wild pond. it has sat there on some land at a lower level (in a dip) surrounded by fields with cows in. On one edge is a house that i know has a cess pit and years ago had a pipe run from it into a very small stream. this stream runs past the pond but does have an inlet into the pond. It has been relatively self managing for years (decades) and ducks lived on a small island on it. it had a few reeds around it along with some other wetland plants....nothing untoward was of a concern.

Over winter, every trace of plant life vanished and the pond appeared relatively clear. However, from then and to now, plants have overtaken every centimetre of the pond. More concerningly, in patches, a film of orangey/brown scum started appearing. There was an awful pungent foul smell from the water, which on certain days rises to the land area, making it quite horrible to stand around. The water colour is a light brown if bottled. Amongst the film on patches, the rest is covered in cress like plants, so with that and the very tall reeds, there is no visible water....it is covered.

Being surrounded by a cow field, and the new information about this cess pit, i had a water test by a lab. I spoke to them, but they were reluctant to tell me what is and isn't normal. The more I read online, the more I am getting confused as to whether the results are very bad - to ok.... i am sure they are not good!

My aspirations for the pond are to keep it as a wild pond, but i want it more opened up and not a mass of reeds...it may attract the ducks back then and perhaps other critters.

I would appreciate some comments, although i am considering getting a pond expert in, to advise as well.

it is approx 180 sq metres, and 8ft in deep in places, if not more.

thank you

Attachments

• 2024-09-03_13-30-33.jpg
    2024-09-03_13-30-33.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 8

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
doggie.gif
@Tazzy666uk
Sounds like a big undertaking and sorry I don't know how to help. Hoping someone here can assist you soon.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Looks like the coliform is very high as well as the ammonia, Normally for the ammonia in our ponds we like to see ideally zero or no more than a trace which show a properly balanced biological filter. Considering your sources of pollution it is not surprising.

What has changed recently, more rain/run-off bringing pollution in?

Some acceptable parameters based on use:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum.

Looks like the coliform is very high as well as the ammonia, Normally for the ammonia in our ponds we like to see ideally zero or no more than a trace which show a properly balanced biological filter. Considering your sources of pollution it is not surprising.

What has changed recently, more rain/run-off bringing pollution in?

Some acceptable parameters based on use:
Thank you and Hi,

Nothing has changed at all within my area. It is extremely rural and yes, there is run-off when raining but no more than usual. The stream water smells ok and looks fine, no signs pollution. There are also critters in the stream as there is a small dam, which i wouldn't think would hang around if it were bad there, so does appear isolated to the pond area.

Having said all that, last year a medium main branch fell from an over hanging very large willow tree into the side of the pond area where the water level was only a few inches. We removed that quite quickly though

Ask a Question