Hyacinths and water lettuce not thriving

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had a barrel pond with a few gold fish for a few years and it has thrived. This year the water lettuce and hyacinths keep dying off. I have never had this problem and in fact in the past have had to throw away plants as they were overgrown. I started testing the water and the pH is 8. I have been using pH Down to trying to get it up around 7-7.5. It doesn’t want to budge. I did have a string algae problem and was able to rid the pond of it. I took the plants out of the pond and put them in another container to see if it was the high pH affecting them…no go. Any suggestion?? Heard about treating them with Miracle grow but not sure. Would appreciate any feedback.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Some years mine do great; others not so much. Where are you located? It's just been so darn cool here in 5B (well until we opened the gates of H-E-double hockey sticks last week!) that mine are just hanging out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put some hyacinths in recently, first time ever to really take off. Then again I have not had them in the pond for over 8 years.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in zone 10 so we have lots of warm sunshine in California. Today I did get the pH reading of 7.5 so that’s better….for now! I brought the lettuce inside to a sunny window and put them in a glass container and they are loving it. Left the hyacinths in a pail and they are struggling. Put a few of lettuce and hyacinths back in pond and they are ok but not thriving. Anybody tried the Miracle Grow suggestion I have read about online? I would add it to the pail of hyacinths and see what happens.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've done it. It does work. But I found it was temporary. If they aren't happy in the pond, they won't be any happier when you put them back. I've cycled mine in and out - strugglers out and in the bucket, greened up ones back in the pond. Lather rinse repeat.

Just make sure you don't use too much, and rinse it off before they go back in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm in northeastern Pennsylvania, zone 6b.

Mine were getting yellow and are finally starting to look good (in late June).

I have not had any hyacinths bloom for many years. I was told they need lots of sun to flower.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm in northeastern Pennsylvania, zone 6b.

Mine were getting yellow and are finally starting to look good (in late June).

I have not had any hyacinths bloom for many years. I was told they need lots of sun to flower.
I have full blasting sun, they are actually growing good, only one flower so far. Impulse buy this year from where I got the fish. Probably never again, too much of a nuisance. Don't need the extra filtering.

Ask a Question