Hurricane Prep

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello to anyone living along the east coast
What are tips for preparing ponds in the event of a hurricane? My area hasn’t had bad flooding in a long time; but better safe than sorry.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Where do you live, @Dawgfish? I think we have a few members who live on either the East coast or Gulf coast, so maybe they can give you some advice. I have read in other forums and groups that sometimes there is a lot of prepping that goes on, but sometimes you are just going to be at the mercy of Mother Nature when it comes to hurricanes (and tornados) — they can be so unpredictable! Hopefully, you’ll never have to face that issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know of one ponder whose fish all got washed out of the pond with storm flooding. She now puts a net over the pond at water level to keep the fish in. That has worked well with subsequent storms they have had.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know of one ponder whose fish all got washed out of the pond with storm flooding. She now puts a net over the pond at water level to keep the fish in. That has worked well with subsequent storms they have had.
Just curious if there was much change in the water chemistry afterward.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would imagine there was, but don't know for sure. That would have been a huge amount of rain and that could certainly drop the pH. I think they also load the pond up with baking soda beforehand as well.

Hurricanes are much too frequent where they are.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Great idea as long as the net weave is very tiny so the smalls can't swim out!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious if there was much change in the water chemistry afterward.
Thank you for your advice! We’re entering hurricane season; and if I get a storm as bad as when Sandy hit I’ll need to prepare. Good thing we have an insane amount of baking soda already on hand

Reaction score
Country
United States
Where do you live, @Dawgfish? I think we have a few members who live on either the East coast or Gulf coast, so maybe they can give you some advice. I have read in other forums and groups that sometimes there is a lot of prepping that goes on, but sometimes you are just going to be at the mercy of Mother Nature when it comes to hurricanes (and tornados) — they can be so unpredictable! Hopefully, you’ll never have to face that issue.
I live in Virginia and my home is close to one of our major rivers. Back when Sandy hit my pond didn’t have fish; but now that it does I’m always worried about them. But I will keep that net and baking soda idea on hand
Maybe even move my fancy goldfish into a tank until the storm passes will help

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was going to say the same net over the pond but be sure to weigh it down or stake it in realy realy well. Places with no elevation that can get several feet above normal can easily wash away a patio chair holing down a corner of the net

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I can find one on Amazon or use nets built for vegetable gardens
One thing about the nets being right in the water is some fish might get stuck in them depending on the hole size in the netting. You will have to figure out what size fish you have and what size net holes you need. I would take out those that you cherish the most! I think I read you said you just had some goldfish fry hatch. Uh oh! You may need to use some kind of screening instead of netting. Something that will let the water in and out but so tiny of holes that fish can't get caught or swim out of.
Maybe something like these: https://www.amazon.com/fiberglass-screen-mesh/s?k=fiberglass+screen+mesh

Ask a Question