How to reduce the depth of my pond

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a 2 metre deep pond that is an old concrete water tank, I want to reduce the depth to be more manageable and so that I see the Koi. What depth should I go to and what should I use to reduce the depth?

Concrete? Stones? Sand?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 2 metre deep pond that is an old concrete water tank, I want to reduce the depth to be more manageable and so that I see the Koi. What depth should I go to and what should I use to reduce the depth?

Concrete? Stones? Sand?
I'd suggest milk crates covered by cobble, then gravel. That way you still have the water volume to help with balancing the pond - larger water volumes are more stable chemically and with temperature than smaller ones. The rocks would also help with having more surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow on.

As far as depth, that's tougher to answer. What's your climate like, what fish will you be putting in, if any, and how many? Will you want shelves for plants?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does your pond have a liner, or is it just the concrete? And is the concrete sealed in any way? Also, what are the overall dimensions of the pond/well: length and width?

I know, so many questions and no answers, but it’s info that will help us give you the best choices.

Reaction score
I'd suggest milk crates covered by cobble, then gravel. That way you still have the water volume to help with balancing the pond - larger water volumes are more stable chemically and with temperature than smaller ones. The rocks would also help with having more surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow on.

As far as depth, that's tougher to answer. What's your climate like, what fish will you be putting in, if any, and how many? Will you want shelves for plants?
My pond depth is 4 1/2 feet. Every time I get in with my waders on and bend over slightly, I wish my depth was 4 feet! I think I would be concerned about milk crates, and filling up the area with rock. The sludge that will build up in that overtime would be significant and difficult to remove. Alternative choice might be to take your fish out and put them in a holding tank, Fill in the base of your pond and put in a new liner at the depth you want. Just a thought.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond depth is 4 1/2 feet. Every time I get in with my waders on and bend over slightly, I wish my depth was 4 feet! I think I would be concerned about milk crates, and filling up the area with rock. The sludge that will build up in that overtime would be significant and difficult to remove. Alternative choice might be to take your fish out and put them in a holding tank, Fill in the base of your pond and put in a new liner at the depth you want. Just a thought.
yeah, you'd need a cleanout with the milkcrates and rock. Think of it like a bog under your pond instead of to the side of it.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The pond is about 8 metres in diameter (nearly circular). I will be keeping koi and my climate is tropical, lows of about 5C and highs of about 38C, averaging 28C in summer and 5C in winter at night.

It's concrete and must be sealed because it is an old water tank.

I've just been recommending stacking these Aquablox things to 1 metre in height so that I can keep the water volume and have the effective depth reduced to 1 metre, of course there are no straight edges so it will leave gaps all round for the fish to hide away (is my thinking).

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is there any way you would consider adding a liner! You could backfill with sand/dirt, compact it, then install the liner. That’s what I would do (I think you would have to drill holes through the concrete for drainage, but not an expert in anything).

Do you plan on walking around on the pond bottom? You want something sturdy.

One thing to consider is that in extreme cold / extreme heat situations, depth can be your friend. Your temps (I had to convert them — crazy American, here) don’t sound too bad, in fact, a lot like mine here in the Southern US, but my summers are hotter. You were asking about depth. Koi like and need a lot of space, so don’t go too shallow.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I might think concrete might be a good choice as you are going to seal all the other concrete there anyways. Wonder what @GBBUDD thinks? I think he works w/concrete a lot don't you @GBBUDD ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've just been recommending stacking these Aquablox things to 1 metre in height so that I can keep the water volume and have the effective depth reduced to 1 metre, of course there are no straight edges so it will leave gaps all round for the fish to hide away (is my thinking).

Those are just overengineered expensive milk crates. you can buy them and put them in but regular milk crates would be sufficient.

Is there any way you would consider adding a liner! You could backfill with sand/dirt, compact it, then install the liner. That’s what I would do
That's a much easier idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is a pond th
Those are just overengineered expensive milk crates. you can buy them and put them in but regular milk crates would be sufficient
There is a huge difference from a milk crat to an aquablock as generic term. You won't find an engineer that would use milk crates as a water storage that is underground and is going to Carry a Live load. Aquablocks and or matrix block are designed for this.
Milk crates are made for carrying and yes stacking. But here is the difference. Matrix blocks have all the sides. Atop and bottom locked together. Granted only by plastic pins but it does the job.
Each block has two center dividing walls as well so there are 8 sections to 5 on a milk crate but again they are locked in place to each other. The milk crates sit in a notch on the side and are not designed to come anywhere near the tolerances needed to burry tons of stone on then and to then drive on it to boot.

The aquablocks have another advantage being they are easy to cut and I use zip ties to resecure them together.
They do have a substantial cost to them but are also the most structuraly sound that can also be cut.

Don't get me wrong milk crates are perfect for other projects just don't get caught using stoles crates.
And no not all concrete needs to be sealed concrete at 5000 psi and above generaly are more water proof.
But there are many coatings today like plaster a very well known material and liquid rubber or even some paints

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well, the work has begun, I've pulled the plants and dropped the water level, grid comes out in the next two days.

Once the grid is out, then comes decision time on the depth and design. Being two metres deep makes putting a fountain and in fact any plants or anything in the pond a challenge. Perhaps I will need to drain it in order to put something in the middle that the fountain can sit on.

Dilemma: Do I catch the fish, drain the pond and start again or something else...? I feel like I have little choice.

I put some water into those two holding tanks for the fish, should I go that path, if not, I have them for rearing babies later.

Attachments

• IMG_2181.jpeg
    IMG_2181.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2185.jpeg
    IMG_2185.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2186.jpeg
    IMG_2186.jpeg
    447.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2187.jpeg
    IMG_2187.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2188.jpeg
    IMG_2188.jpeg
    498.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2189.jpeg
    IMG_2189.jpeg
    525.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2190.jpeg
    IMG_2190.jpeg
    523.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2191.jpeg
    IMG_2191.jpeg
    529 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2192.jpeg
    IMG_2192.jpeg
    549.8 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I forgot to post some before shots, some before the weeds took over too.

Attachments

• IMG_1611.jpeg
    IMG_1611.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1325.jpeg
    IMG_1325.jpeg
    517.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1323.jpeg
    IMG_1323.jpeg
    500 KB · Views: 11
  • 69458733794__C4BCC9C3-3EA5-4DB2-A235-963A28370CDA.jpeg
    69458733794__C4BCC9C3-3EA5-4DB2-A235-963A28370CDA.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    437.3 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting. I've never seen a water tank like that before. What's the grid made of? It looks maybe pipes with a net stretched over them?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yes, it's steel fencing with galvanised fence mesh. I think it's been in there for 35 years.

Ask a Question