How to kill roots and not the fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I made a big mistake by adding creeping jenny to my waterfall and i just removed all of it but there are roots that i can't remove.
What can i put on them without killing my fish whe i turn it back on.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just keep picking away at it.

You could, maybe, spray with some vinegar, cover with black plastic, hot sunny day, dead! Used to do in AZ for weeds

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If they are cosmetic and not actively growing, I would leave them alone. They add character to the rocks. Or scrub them off with a clean (never used) plastic kitchen scrubber.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Only thing I ever do is just pull it out when I don't like where it's at! It's not in my waterfall tho.........................yet anyways!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could try spraying them with peroxide. That won't harm the fish unless it's sprayed directly on them.

The roots might just die on their own since there are no leaves to support them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I was just reading about the Creeping Jenny and it appears that the roots go deep if in the ground but in a waterfall they would seem to be more shallow I would think. Here is one thing they said to do on one site:
For those who prefer more eco-friendly options, methods such as mulching with black plastic or landscape fabric can be effective.So you might turn off the falls and cover the plants so they can't get any light. Keep pulling them out too! Don't let the flowers stay on the plants either. I suppose you could still allow the falls to run if the covering would still stay in place somehow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I wouldn't bother to be honest. Then again we don't know how fast Creeping Jenny grows for you but it is a plant, it's not like it can take over your waterfall in a day, or even a week. Or maybe it can.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would use a pressure washer and just keep picking away

Ask a Question