How to catch my fish?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a pond that is an old water tank and is 2 metres deep. It has steel grid that sits about 30cm down and an open man hole that the koi disappear through when they aren't feeding which means I only see them at feed time.

My project is to remove this grid, raise the base and get it to a depth that is easier to manage (weeds grow from this grid) and give it a good clean and to start again with the plants/water, etc.

With so much space for the fish to escape to, even when I get the grid removed and the water down to 20cm deep, where it liekly to have 10cm or more of sludge from 30 years of 'life', i'm concerned that the catching exercise is going to be very traumatic for the fish.

Here are some pics, any tips/ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1323.jpeg
    IMG_1323.jpeg
    500 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1325.jpeg
    IMG_1325.jpeg
    517.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0819.jpeg
    IMG_0819.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0820.jpeg
    IMG_0820.jpeg
    470.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0545.jpeg
    IMG_0545.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0818.jpeg
    IMG_0818.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0844.jpeg
    IMG_0844.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1324.jpeg
    IMG_1324.jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1611.jpeg
    IMG_1611.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The simplest and least traumatic way to catch fish is to lower the water level. Since you plan a clean out anyway, just start pumping the water out and you'll reduce the space where they can run and hide.

Do you have a temporary holding plan? Pump the water from the existing pond into that so the transfer will be from pond water to pond water - less stressful for the fish that way.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I was hoping there was some kind of trap solution I could use rather than chase them around a 10m diameter pond, even when shallow - which is my fallback option :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your fish will be stressed regardless of how they are caught.
Lower the water level and make certain to have a good sized holding tank as @Lisak1 suggested and then try one of these where the fish are fed.

Use it to corral the fish and then dip net or scoop them individually into a bucket.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This doesn’t answer your question, and doesn’t even address your issue…..but something to keep in mind about fish behavior. When fish hide…..they are doing it to feel safe and secure. There might be something scaring your fish: a predator, or even a perceived predator (if something scares them, they don’t the difference), which is why you never see them except when you feed.

So, whenever you get everything straightened out (read your other post about reducing depth), be sure to include plenty of safe, hiding places for them.

Good luck with this project and keep us posted — and we love pictures;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That grid is that where h out like your bottom to be? Any chance it can support even a liner? I'd look at using the bottom section as a wetland filter. Make a settling area and gravel make it inexcusable for the fish but you maintain water volume this keeps the pond much easier to keep stable and healthy. If your pond is doing well is there a must to remove what we think of as sludge but to microbes they consider it the Ritz Carlton?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That grid is that where h out like your bottom to be? Any chance it can support even a liner? I'd look at using the bottom section as a wetland filter. Make a settling area and gravel make it inexcusable for the fish but you maintain water volume this keeps the pond much easier to keep stable and healthy. If your pond is doing well is there a must to remove what we think of as sludge but to microbes they consider it the Ritz Carlton?

But back to your question two or three 30 inch round flat nets is the best
Let the fish see across the net as it is held horizontal as they swim across you got um

Reaction score
Country
United States
The larger volume of water will be easier to keep balanced and will be warmer in winter and cooler in summer. I would not give up depth if it were me. More depth means more fish can live there too.

Maybe just remove the grid and build some hiding places for the fish with stacked rocks, and or clay fireplace flues. I think the water depth above the grate is too shallow for them to feel safe and the grid gives them less area to escape to.

Fish usually do come to the surface even in a deep pond. And the depth gives them more escape options so they feel safer.

If you just want shallower, you can put a cover over the "manhole" opening when they are all out eating. Then you get the bigger water volume and they are contained to the shallower water. But they are more at risk from predators.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with not making the pond smaller and trust me my pond is 6 feet deep and has a multitude of places for fish to hide. My solution was to add an intake bay with a narrowing opening and I will feed the fish in that area
And when they entered I would place a net at the entrance and I could then catch whom ever I wanted. This has proved to be very benificial. And it added a lot in looks a d in funtionality. This intake I made 17 feet long and 10 at the widest so in the fall all the leaves are pulled in condensed and removed easily.

Ask a Question