High phosphates?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Had my 8500ltr pond running for a year now and here in UK we are in summer and the dreaded greenish water has returned. The pond is 4.5ft deep and I can just about see the bottom, but it isn't very clear. Throughout the winter it was crystal clear.

Running an oase screenmatic 60000 and 110w uv sterilisers (recently changed)

Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all good, but my phosphates are about 7.5-10ppm.

Fish are fine and showing no stress and feeding well. Note I'm only feeding once a day as water temp is about 15 degrees C.

I added lagunas Phos X bags I to the outflow of the filter (3 bags for 10000ltrs) a couple of days ago and haven't seen a reduction yet.

My questions are - is this the cause of the greenish water and already and how quickly should the Phos x work?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

Had my 8500ltr pond running for a year now and here in UK we are in summer and the dreaded greenish water has returned. The pond is 4.5ft deep and I can just about see the bottom, but it isn't very clear. Throughout the winter it was crystal clear.

Running an oase screenmatic 60000 and 110w uv sterilisers (recently changed)

Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all good, but my phosphates are about 7.5-10ppm.

Fish are fine and showing no stress and feeding well. Note I'm only feeding once a day as water temp is about 15 degrees C.

I added lagunas Phos X bags I to the outflow of the filter (3 bags for 10000ltrs) a couple of days ago and haven't seen a reduction yet.

My questions are - is this the cause of the greenish water and already and how quickly should the Phos x work?

Thanks in advance

Dan
My small pond shows 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite. I ordered test for ammonia..the water is clear, no odor. Sludge bottom, water lily cover. No algae. This year when I try to add fish I find some floating dead and some just disappeared. Last year a heron ate all but 2 small fish. There is no sign the pond has been disturbed. Does anyone have an idea of the problem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@denised, It would be better if you started your own thread instead of adding to other ones. That way, you can title it with the problem you are having and that will get more attention.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
5 cats.gif
@denised

Ask a Question