Help with stock tank pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I am SO new to this, and I have no clue what I am doing šŸ˜‚

I bought a 150 gallon stock tank that I am looking to turn into a small fish/nature pond. I donā€™t need or want anything crazy, but I also am so clueless. All the info I can find is on larger ponds or not my specific circumstance. I am not burying it, so it will be above ground in an open air part of my yard (part sun). I live on what is basically a foot of clay on top of solid granite. I cannot bury it, but might be able to insulate if needed.

Currently I have an Aquascape Ultra 400 attached to some long tubing. Do I need all this tubing? Where do I put it? Is the filter on that good enough, or should I get another?

I also have a small pond air pump that I intend to attach to a long bubble bar and a water stone for extra oxygenation. Is that necessary?

The bottom of the pond is sand covered by marble chips. Everything has been rinsed out. I have a bunch of water plants I will be using from my nature ponds.

I do not have fish yet, but I want to get rice fish - they seem the best for my situation (cold tolerant, do not need a ton of maintenance, etc). I would like to attach a small stock tank heater to the pond for winter. Would that work to keep the fish alive during winter? Worst case I can bring them in.

I would like to build a surround for the tank and add a bog filter or a waterfall, but thatā€™s not happening yet.

I will take any advice you all have! For reference, I am in Massachusetts (zone 6), so winter is definitely a thing to consider.

This is my current setup:
IMG_0502.jpeg

And here is the inside with the tubing I have no idea what to do with. Hard to see, but the pump is not actually on the bottom, itā€™s on a raised rock in there.
IMG_0503.jpeg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Your biggest issue is the winter, it might freeze solid.

I would keep it fishless until you go through a winter, see how it does.
The tubing, you can lay a few flat rocks on it or try to run along side the edge.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a similar set up. I've just started researching if there's a way to heat it enough, being above ground, for my gold fish to stay out this winter. I'll share anything I learn.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a similar set up. I've just started researching if there's a way to heat it enough, being above ground, for my gold fish to stay out this winter. I'll share anything I learn.

Attachments

• 20240802_101243.jpg
    20240802_101243.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 9

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
freezing is definitely going to be an issue. also, make sure the tank is completely on a flat surface. I've had 2 of these tanks crack along the bottom edge because they were set on blocks.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I live in the South, so canā€™t speak to freezing ā€” but if your future plans include an insulated ā€œsurround,ā€ that will help a lot!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice everyone!!

I donā€™t think it will freeze solid - we get cold up here, but not THAT cold usually. My plan includes a small heater and air stones so keep that from happening.
Hello and welcome!

I live in the South, so canā€™t speak to freezing ā€” but if your future plans include an insulated ā€œsurround,ā€ that will help a lot!
That was my plan - Iā€™d like to build a wooden box around it that would eventually hold a small waterfall or bog filter. Iā€™d insulate around it in the box.

freezing is definitely going to be an issue. also, make sure the tank is completely on a flat surface. I've had 2 of these tanks crack along the bottom edge because they were set on blocks.
I unfortunately live on a hill so I canā€™t get it perfect flat, but that is very good to know about them cracking. I have one side wedged slightly with a brick to even it out, but Iā€™ll add some gravel to make sure itā€™s as flat as possible.

Iā€™m definitely waiting on fish until Iā€™m 100% sure itā€™s good. Right now I have acquired a few more things - freshwater driftwood and large pumice stones to add to the pondscape. I have an air pump with two air stones and am looking into adding a small filter as well.

Obviously no fish yet, but would rice fish need a filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A small hoop house built over it should prevent it from freezing. Maybe wrap it with insulation, too. Small hoop houses are easy to put up. Lots of information online about enclosing a pond for winter.

Ask a Question