Help needed over my mini pond!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mini pond, without fish, but in error I've planted my pond plants in erecaceous soil. Will it harm the plants and any aquatic life?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, now I've expanded my vocabulary already today. Not sure if acidic soil will affect your small pond, but I'm sure others will be along to advise you. Perhaps you could include pertinent info like the size of your pond, number of fish etc. Maybe you could add a photo too.

Good luck.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

What kind of soil? Do you ever plan to have fish? How big is your pond…..and when you say you “planted” them, do you mean in pots, or you put soil on the bottom of the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's a tub mini pond, 45ltrs. It has gravel in the bottom & larger stones to the top on one side, so hedgehogs etc. can get out if they fall in. I don't plan to have fish. I've planted a couple of pond plants in the proper pond plant baskets, weighed down with pebbles on their top. I've also added floating plants to oxygenate the pond; all are tiny at present. I'm worried because the ones I've planted are in erecaceous soil, which I didn't mean to use. I hope this won't harm the plants & any small pond critters, or perhaps it won't make any difference?

Attachments

• IMG_20240809_210254.jpg
    IMG_20240809_210254.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 9

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, you mean an acidic soil! You could look up the particular plants you have and see what their soil requirements are. Or, you could change the soil out, but it’s probably not going to make a difference. Sounds like you have made what we call a wildlife pond. I’ve never seen a hedgehog in the wild. I bet they’re cute!

Ask a Question