Hello garden pond people, need advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have an above ground pond with Koi. I have been fighting pond scum and need some help. The pond pump has lamp inside to kill algae and specs exceed the square footage of water. Every day there is excess of floating debris and buildup around edges. We had lillie pads in there but moved them in a separate bucket to see if it was contributing to the mess, but the rate of debris is still constant. I have not tested the water yet, should I take sample in somewhere?

Attachments

• IMG_1160.jpeg
    IMG_1160.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 13

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Excessive algae is usually caused by excessive nutrients in the pond. Your UV bulb helps the symptoms not the cause. The bulbs also need to be changed regularly to maintain effectiveness.

More information would be helpful-volume/size of pond, size and number of fish, more details on your filtration. Any plants besides the lilies? They will help compete with the algae. Water test information is also helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry for delayed reply. The water sample revealed needing some nitrate adjustment. Since adding, we have had a lot of rain here, this helped refresh the water. Still not as clear as I have seen it before, but much better.

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpeg
    IMG_0456.jpeg
    790 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am a bit stingy with how much I feed my fish, But in the same breath they get probiotic food , food that is easily digestible and those koi sticks are not even on the snack menus . try this little test take a piece of food and let it get wet watch how much one stick swells. get probiotic food , food that is easily digestible and those koi sticks are not even on the snack menus get probiotic food , food that is easily digestible and those koi sticks are not even on the snack menus . try this little test take a piece of food and let it get wet watch how much one stick gets

Try this little test take a piece of food and let it get wet watch how much one stick SWELLS, Koi don't have a stomach where they store food and break it down. They have our equivalent of intestines' where as some enters some exits. meaning if they get too much food it flushes through too fast and half eaten food is ejected fouling the water. our fish are grazers they get very little food when they are rooting on the rocks.

So in short small feeding every couple hours is far better than one large feeding a day

Ask a Question