Has anyone got this Alocasia growing in water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I found this gem at HD today and I wondered if anyone has tried it in their bog or pond?
Royal Haw'n Waikiki.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That seems to be a taro plant, a Colocasia. I have several taro plants in my pond where they thrive and grow like weeds. They are taken indoors for winter since they won't survive the cold here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That seems to be a taro plant, a Colocasia. I have several taro plants in my pond where they thrive and grow like weeds. They are taken indoors for winter since they won't survive the cold here
You are right - I got my "*casias" mixed up! Thanks, I'm really happy about this one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Yes…but it also depend on your light situation. I had one in full sun…and despite its roots entirely underwater it got scorched and kinda shrank over the summer. I had another in part shade and it did much better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Good point. I stuck one in the bog and one in the ground - the one in the dirt is bigger though. They get late afternoon shade thankfully. I'm anxious to see how they do this winter. I may chicken out and bring one indoors, I really love the colors.

20240903_105449.jpg
20240903_105409.jpg

Ask a Question