Has Anybody Ever Re Do Their Pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I’m to that point….

Built first pond 8 years ago…..build second pond a year after that….connected the two. Or at least tried to, with a small 6 foot stream. Or course it didn’t work. It leaked…not majorly but it leaked. After 7 years I’m tired of it. I’ve redone the stream 600 times now and I’m to the point of redoing the first pond. The leak is where pond one and the stream connect.

Problem is that pond one is very established. Tons of wildlife live in it. Rocks, gravel, tons of plants. It’s probably 15 feet by 20 feet….but it’s kinda shallow in most parts like a foot deep but the middle is probably 3 feet…it’s in my profile picture.

So my question is: has anybody ever done something like this before? Is it worth it? If you did…any advice? If not feasible the worse thing that can happen is I have two separate ponds with two pumps. Pond one is essentially a giant bog filter for pond two.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok…guess not.
this site can be a tad slow and at least for me posts can take some time to show.. the question of is it worth it to me s outstanding yes. i have rebuilt my bog and stream. put an addition onto the pond and added a 3000 gallon cistern . so can it be done yup am i glad i did it yup sure am.

it all comes down to your skills and how good you are with your hands and imagination. it took me basicly 6 years of one weekend a month to build my oasis

i also made a lessons learned page kind of a what i could find when building my pond in any one location so i did so with my build

Reaction score
Country
United States
8 years sounds like a good time to rebuild and apply what you learned. For me it was bigger pipes buried in ground, deeper edges to keep raccoons away and better ledgework to hide liner. I also built a water fall feature to start it all off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
this site can be a tad slow and at least for me posts can take some time to show.. the question of is it worth it to me s outstanding yes. i have rebuilt my bog and stream. put an addition onto the pond and added a 3000 gallon cistern . so can it be done yup am i glad i did it yup sure am.

it all comes down to your skills and how good you are with your hands and imagination. it took me basicly 6 years of one weekend a month to build my oasis

i also made a lessons learned page kind of a what i could find when building my pond in any one location so i did so with my build

Oh wow. Thanks! Amazing pond btw.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8 years sounds like a good time to rebuild and apply what you learned. For me it was bigger pipes buried in ground, deeper edges to keep raccoons away and better ledgework to hide liner. I also built a water fall feature to start it all off.
Exactly. Trial and error. One of my mistakes was shallow edges. 8 years ago they were 6” to a foot. Over time they are now 1” to 6” lol. And those areas are now being overrun by all sorts of plants. For a few years I kinda liked it…but now it seems like at this rate my entire pond will be a shallow bog.

Ask a Question